LJ's Chooks

Help Please - Is Lilly constipated or something else?

Sorry this is not pleasant... but i need to describe what is going on in the hope someone can advise me....

Oh my poor lilly, she looks in a sorry state, she seems to be stooping to poo, and straining untill a little comes out and clings to her bum... she runs off into the cube and then emerges a few mins later with a clean bum.

Im not sure what's happening, there seems to be a white mucus dribbling out. She's not egg bound as she has laid an egg whilst all this has been going on. As she has no feathers at the moment, it is clear for all to see. the egg was fine this morning, normal size, and i cracked it to make sure it was ok inside. But she just doesnt seem right. Every 30 seconds or minute she is straining. I am worried she is going to prolaps as everything seems to project out?????

They were all wormed about 2 months ago, but have been undergoing a regular dosing of ant powder, de and anti mite spray, to control a bad mite infestation which led to her pulling out nearly all her feathers. They are just getting new feathers through and now this... not sure what is going on, can someone offer some advice please?

She seems to be eating and scratching around as normal, and is sprightly when a worm is discovered by another of the girls, the only other symptom is that her comb is a little off colour... a bit purpley at the bottom... but not sure if im just looking for other things. she has a full but not abnormal crop - again feathers missing here so very easy to see.... could this be worms???? its only 2 months since the last dose of flubevent, so didnt think it would be this.... but will start worming again in the morning before i let them out... cant be too careful!

what effect would the liquid parafin have... is that the same as vaseline or a more liquid version...?? :oops:

thanks

Liquid parrafin is like a laxative - given orally with a syringe - and it just cleans them out. It certainly worked for me when one of mine was egg bound and I had tried everything else. I got it from an independant chemist's - Boots and superdrug etc do not sell it any more.

It sounds like your girl's ok for now though - just having a bit of trouble with a softie. I would just keep a close eye on her for now - if she only laid this morning, it might well carry on until tomorrow - or even beyond. Keep her warm tonight (lay her on a hot water bottle) to make her more comfortable and to help her get that egg out.