debbie

Vaseline

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if I should be putting the vaseline on my girls combs yet ? Its very very chilly but not yet freezing. Won't they get covered in bit and pieces with it on or is better to be safe rather than sorry. I read somewhere that some people put it on their legs as well, ( the chickens ) :shock::shock::lol::lol: is that right????

Any advive please

Some people put vaseline on their chickens combs to stop them getting frostbite in the winter.

I have never done this and my chickens endured daytime temperatures of -10oc and on a couple of occasions even colder at night last winter. Their combs were fine :D It is a personal choice :D

You can treat scaly leg mite by smothering the chickens legs in vaseline.

I bought vaseline today and have introduced it to Fenny and Clara - Fenny began by digging her beak into the jar thinking it was a treat - this distracted her for long enough to be picked up and have her comb and wattles daubed in vaseline - Clara then got the same treatment but was a little less interested in the vaseline jar! It was below freezing here last night - they just enjoyed having porrige for breakfast because of the cold!!

I think I am quite isolated (despite being in the middle of a village) the surrounding area is sooo flat that the wind howls in and the temperature drops away - Noticebly colder than friends not far away - still I have the fire burning away merrily and rosie is dreaming of chasing chickens - rather than practicing inthe garden!! No risk of frostbite tonight - raining :cry: - again (will the eglu float?)

I live in Essex, and it has turned so bitter this past week!!! I put Vaseline on my girls combs for the first time last night. They didn't mind at all. Henrietta enjoyed it!!

Henrietta's legs are rather scaly I've noticed (doesn't affect her walking at all), I might try the Vaseline on that then...