Guest Wanny

Fox proof? Not bunny proof!!

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any advice for me? I have had a rabbit eglu for a couple of weeks now, and have been very impressed with how easy it is to clean and how much my bunnies love being in there. However, this morning, I came downstairs to find that they had dug under the run and got out. As you can imagine, there was big panic as I tried to find them to check they were safe. Thankfully, they were hiding in the garden, hadn't escaped or been eaten!! I'm really upset because I thought the rablu was a fantastic idea and believed that it was fox proof and safe for my bunnies. Now, I don't know how to stop them getting out again, and if they can get out, surely a fox can get in!?!

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? :shock:

:shock: How scary for you! It hadn't crossed my mind about bunnies being rather good tunnellers...out!

Off the top of my head, (so that means this might be a really bad idea: Wait to see what others think of it: They'll certainly say :lol: ) How about putting wire netting down on the floor of the run: The grass will still poke through, but presumably, it might stop the bunnies from digging. I know that our old fashioned triangular wooden rabbit run from years ago when I had rabbits had wire netting on the floor of the run, as well as the two sides, to stop them burrowing, and just in case it flipped over somehow. It was that thin, octagonal shaped netting you can get from garden centres. You could just buy a roll, lay it down on the ground and place the Rablu on top. The weight of the Rablu would hold it down firm I would have thought.

That must have been scary I am sure the omlet team hadn't thought of that, the bunnies must be good diggers, I think the skirt around the outside of the run is supposed to stop the fox getting in but I am not sure what you could do about bunnies getting out......... Annie's suggestion of wire on the floor of the run seems like a good solution. Good luck let us know how you get on.

I spoke to the Omlet team about this and they said they were going to send me a prototype base they're working on right away. That was 2 weeks ago and i still haven't heard anything. In my opinion, they shouldn't have put a rabbit eglu on sale without making it rabbit proof, and the base shouldn't be an extra you have to pay more for. I bought the rablu so that my indoor rabbits can spend the summer months outside. They go in the garden when I'm at home anyway and have never dug before. How is anyone else like me supposed to know their rabbits will dig, until like me, they come down one morning to find them gone! I am lucky that my rabbits didn't get out of the garden - it could have been a very different story!!

I hope that anyone looking at buying a rablu reads this and thinks twice. The omlet team seem to be very experienced with chickens, but right now don't seem to be anywhere near as helpful when it comes to rabbits. :(

Sorry to have only just caught up on this thread. Bunnies (especially girls) are proficient diggers and that was in my mind whe the team showed me the Rablu, Ia sked about a mesh floor, and they either said (I can't remember clearly) that there was one available or that it was on the way. I said that it would be essential.

I have two girl bunnies and one of them tunnels for England so I have to be careful to make sure that they are secure. They would really love a pink Rablu, I just have to save up for one!

With regards to your problem (if it hasn't been sorted), I would give them a call; the chaps have been very busy doing shows and haven't been in the office much lately. Johannes keeps rabbits himself and knows a fair bit about them, so perhaps he is the best person to ask for.

If you are planning to sort it yourself, then I would recommend getting 'welded mesh' as it is thicker guage and stronger than chicken wire. It has squares about 1cm sq and can be bought by the sheet relatively cheaply.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Regards

i am having problems with my bunnies digging too!!! i have tried putting mesh under but it it very hard work and a real pain when you need to move the run. a bottom would be much better but it better not be too much money after spending £350 on the bloody run! a nightmare it has been since i put them in it.

I'm going to be getting an Eglu real soon and I can't wait but I am really worried about my bunnies burrowing under the run.

I heard that if you contacted Omlet you could get a prototype Eglu with a wire mesh floor (did I make a spelling mistake?) Does anybody have any suggestions?

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

Hi Andy

I am looking for the same thing myself, and I understand that they are waiting for the first batch to come though any time now. Penny at Omlet knows all about it, so you'd be best to contact her. I don't think that they are ready just yet though.

Female bunnies are usually the best diggers, and one of mine is a demon hole-maker! :roll:

Hi I was just about to order a rabbit eglu for my daughters birthday when I read the comments on this forum. Glad I did, although Omlet now do a wire base as an extra I was a bit concerned that they didn't seem to be as up on rabbits as chickens and that they have put these on as an extra and not part of the rabbit eglu which seems to me to be essential.

Are you guys happy with the service / support you've had from Omlet? should I go ahead and buy one (very expensive) or go for the more traditional hutch and run

any advice gratefully received

I'm a bit confused :?

Well the lads at Omlet are well up on bunnies and Johannes keeps rabbits and knows a lot about them.

I have an Eglu, a Rable and a conventional hutch. I am very happy with the Rablu, I have secured the edge of the run skirt downwith a couple of tent pegs as the ground there is uneven, but is it so easy to clean and the bunnies love being out in it during the day. I have made a raincover for it with an IKEA shower curtain to keep them dry in the rain, and I think that they may well live there all summer rather than being in the hutch all the time.

I bought the Rablu to replace their 'summer palace' on the lawn, which was a cheap wooden hutch and run, but that disintegrated and was, frankly, less secure.

I don't know wher you're located kisibunny,but you're more than welcome to come and see our Rablu if you like.

Hi I was just about to order a rabbit eglu for my daughters birthday when I read the comments on this forum. Glad I did, although Omlet now do a wire base as an extra I was a bit concerned that they didn't seem to be as up on rabbits as chickens and that they have put these on as an extra and not part of the rabbit eglu which seems to me to be essential.

Are you guys happy with the service / support you've had from Omlet? should I go ahead and buy one (very expensive) or go for the more traditional hutch and run

any advice gratefully received

I'm a bit confused :?

Ive just ordered a rablu, for delivery on Friday, so will let you know what its like when i recieve it. But the service ive recieved from omlet as been second to none. They are excellent at returning your emails, so any questions send them over to them and they will do their best to respond asap, im sure... will keep you updated on the rablu front as soon as ive got it up and running.