Rhesus Posted October 27, 2009 Share Posted October 27, 2009 I haven't got them, no signs of any and I do a full clean and scrub on the cube every Saturday. Do I have to put powder down as a routine thing or not.... any brand better than others? Advice required pleased Si Doris Hilda Marjorie Grace Elsie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted October 27, 2009 Share Posted October 27, 2009 Diatom or DE powder is the best in my opinion I use it when I do a clean out, I piff it into the gaps and joins and cover the bedding in the nest box with it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 27, 2009 Share Posted October 27, 2009 I do the same as Redwing, and apply it to the chickens underarms and nether regions every month or so. They smell heavenly for a day or two. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
dippy bird Posted October 28, 2009 Share Posted October 28, 2009 Same here, although both my coops are wooden so I scatter loads everywhere including in the straw.It gives a lovely fresh smell to the coops (until the girls poo all over it again!) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gelbel Posted October 28, 2009 Share Posted October 28, 2009 That's 2 of you saying Diatom smells nice - can't say I have ever noticed. Red mite powder smells lovely - am I missing something? When I do a weekly big clean I put red mite powder all over the coop and nest box. I sprinkle Diatom on the nest box shreaded paper everyday (I have finally found a use for a cocktail shaker) and all around the run on the weekly clean. I give the girls a rub in it when I remember - could of times a month. Question - would Stalosan be more cost effective for the run? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Karen & co. Posted October 28, 2009 Share Posted October 28, 2009 That's 2 of you saying Diatom smells nice - can't say I have ever noticed. Red mite powder smells lovely - am I missing something? ? My diatom doesn't smell either but the red mite powder smells lovely bit like baby powder for chooks Karen x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted October 28, 2009 Share Posted October 28, 2009 Stalosan is more a disinfectant powder, whereas Red Mite Powder or Diatom are specifically for creepy crawlies. I have read too much about it, but ...... I have heard that you shouldn't use more than one product at a time. Now I don't know if that's true or if you are indeed wasting your money by using RM Powder and Diatom together, hopefully someone who knows can enlighten us. Also, RM powder is supposed to be effective for up to six weeks, so you probably don't need to use it every week. I tend to sprinkle it everywhere when I do a complete bedding change, which is when there isn't much aubiose left in the house lol. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...