debbier

Bald patch under neck.

I've just noticed a bald patch under the neck of my blackrock - the one in my pic on the left.

I haven't noticed it before, but it is well hidden: right underneath her chin, and only about the size of a 5pence. I tried to have a look at it, and couldn't see anything obvious.

Is it normal, or something I should look into?

The one thing I can think of is that it's onlythe past week that there has been chicken wire in the run splitting off the new arrivals, and she might have worn the feathers off by sticking her ncek under to get at their side of the run? I haven't actually seen her doing this, mind, it's just a thought.

edit: or is it maybe a moult? I just thought of that, but do chooks moult in large clumps like that??

It's one of the first things I read about when I first started my chicken keeping career - before internet forums! It's usually a symptom of the grass being greener on the other side, but I imagine that interest in the off-comers may trigger similar behaviour! :roll: