CrazyDaizy

Chicken sitters???

We've only had Cilla and Daizy since October, and the only time we went away was for a weekend when we left the Eglu open and the run safely closed, so they could put themselves to bed at night and wake up next morning. A neighbour went and collected the eggs.

I'm a bit more concerned about our longer holiday in the summer, about two weeks, or even any other time we are away longer than just a weekend.

My neighbours arent exactly "chook mad" so I feel reluctant to ask them to do anything more than collect eggs. And I am worried about the chooks just being in the confines of their run, when they are so used to roaming the garden. And there's the cleaning out of the Eglu!

Anyone know/heard of "chicken sitters" who will come to the house to let the chooks out for an hour each day? Or maybe somewhere local (I live near Wolverhampton, West Midlands) where I can take my chooks to be safely looked after while I am away?

:?

Hi - I'm in the same boat! I'm in Cheshire & I need a sitter too for February! I haven't got long to find one! Normally my neihbour looks after them, but he is on a course of chemo therapy & not well at all! I want to keep them in my garden whilst away, I don't want to take them and the eglu elsewhere. I know they are safe where they are!

Been pulling my hair out over this, I'm sure you are doing the same!!!!!!

I've googled for chicken sitters, but not had any luck & the most akward part is, sometimes my chooks come out in the dark for a late night snack - so how could a sitter shut them in & top up the food & water at night????

:roll:

Oh help!!!!!

We have a chicken sitter on the forum though for the life of me I can't remember the username

Ladies name is Mel. Phil took his chooks ther last summer while he was on holiday. He said it was a great place and Mrs Miggins and Spot were well looked after. It's up near Brum (I think) :roll:

I'm sure Phil will fill in the details before long :D

The thing is you have to take your Eglu and chooks to Mel, I think you are going to have great problems finding somebody close enough to Sandbach to go every day and lock the chooks in.............Not easy I know but I think it will have to be a close neighbour, I am lucky enough to have my parents close at hand.