Chooks Aloud

Hen Hilton Hotel

Well hubby is well and truly underway with the erection of the 'Hen Hilton Hotel' it's fab. Will post some pictures once it's finished. Just one question: Is it necessary to bury broken glass (to discourage rats) and welded mesh (to discourage Mr Fox). The run has been laid/edged on paving slabs. A bloke at work said that it should be done this way. Has anybody else done this with the glass?

Burying glass in the garden sounds like a poor plan - just think about next time anyone needs to work in the area.

For fox protection,have you thought about working from the Eglu run design: a wire skirt lying flat on the ground works as well as a buried piece of wire, and is much less effort.

cheers

Lera

Welded mesh is one of the few things for keeping foxes at bay - but as for the glass :? sounds a bit dodgy for me I think - the best thing to keep rats at bay is to make sure there is no food mess left on the floor over night - although I've never had a problem (fingers crossed) so don't bother :oops:

Have a look at a few older threads - there are quite a few on fox and rat deterrents

Good luck...