Cate in NZ Posted January 24, 2007 Share Posted January 24, 2007 Lovely photos Christine, and gorgeous looking hens I do love the curious expressions on their faces as they succumbed to Sophie's pedicure, Immi's hen's looking quite laid back and loving it I bet those hens'll look even more fabulous in a couple of months when they've settled into their new homes, feathered up and fattened up a bit. Lucky girls Why is it though that every time I have my photo taken I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kannie Posted January 24, 2007 Share Posted January 24, 2007 I don't think you do Kate! But it was hardly the occasion to be smartly done up and carefully groomed, was it?! With a bit of luck we'll see how the hens look in a couple of months, as Ballgunner has a couple: so lets hope we get some photos! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted January 24, 2007 Share Posted January 24, 2007 We thoroughly enjoyed it last May when we helped at a massive rescue at Jane's farm in Devon. You have to be prepared to muck in (sometimes quite literally), get covered in poo and bitten by lice, but it is so rewarding when you see the poor chookies finding their feet and learning hen behaviour. Buffie and I were helping to unpack the hens from the crates, (my) Phil and Mike heaved the crates off the vans and Rosie was looking after the poorly hens. One thing that I found a bit of a handicap was that my hands are so small that sometimes it was difficult to grab a struggling hen, hold their wings down and turn them up for inspection without them struggling loose. I am used to much smaller bantams If you're keen, I would whole-heartedly recommend contacting a co-ordinator in your area to see if you can help. On the back of the rescue that we attended, Rosie wanted to use the BHWT as the animal charity that she wanted to discuss and support in her Friend to Animals badge at Brownies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sophieam101 Posted January 27, 2007 Share Posted January 27, 2007 Great photos Christina! How come I look like I'm frowing in all of them ( in case no one has guessed I am the Sophie from the photos) As everyone else has already said it was a great day, although the chickens wernt as good as normal, but with some TLC they will soon be fine. It was great to see previous people who had adopted ex-batts before come for more ex-batts. ( Sorry that sentence is rather confusing) Sophie (from the forum) is the person who got me involved. She's one of the younger helpers, but is really such an expert on chickens it's incredible, and is pretty much Jean's right hand man at the rescues Thanks Kate, now Im all embarrssed Hope to see all the Essex team soon. P.S. Kate your cakes were delisous, too yummy for words!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kannie Posted January 28, 2007 Share Posted January 28, 2007 How come I look like I'm frowing in all of them I think its just a look of hard concentration, Sophie - you were rightly being careful with the chooks toes! You also worked solidly, doing much of the clipping with a queue of us mere holders!! You must have been exhausted afterwards - definately deserved your cake! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buffie Posted January 28, 2007 Share Posted January 28, 2007 Just back and lovely to see this, you can't beat this uplifting experience can you! Thanks guys, ! Would it be ok to use some of these pics for BHWT if required? I'm adding this monday am. Everything that can be said has been said very well. I hope to be going to Devon for the 'big one' again this year, hoping to help at the farm as I did last year. The experience is wonderful as not only is each hen having a chance at a 'new life' you also know each hen is spreading the word, promoting the work of BHWT and educating the public. As Phil said NO Balaclava's but a trusting relationship built with the farmer. A very important and vital relationship for our aims to be met. Jane and other coordinators have worked tirelessly to build these relationships. BHWT proudly walks into the farm, at the invitation of the farmer . This is why I work for them. Buff xxxx : Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kannie Posted January 29, 2007 Share Posted January 29, 2007 Would it be ok to use some of these pics for BHWT if required? Fine by me as the photo taker, Buffie, but then its not me thats in the frame ( ) I will check with James. Would it be for a newsletter or something? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buffie Posted January 29, 2007 Share Posted January 29, 2007 just in case it is needed for information etc. We are putting together publicv info display boards (banner display) for the market, so it may be useful. I can only pass onto Jane. See if it's ok, BBx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cate in NZ Posted January 29, 2007 Share Posted January 29, 2007 They're not my photos of course, but I've no objection to the pics of Immi & I being used by the BHWT as long as Immi isn't identified by anything more than her photo and first name. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sophieam101 Posted January 29, 2007 Share Posted January 29, 2007 You can use the pics with me in if you want, I dont mind at all and my Mum wont either, as long as it helps the BHWT. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted January 29, 2007 Share Posted January 29, 2007 You can use the pics with me in if you want, I dont mind at all and my Mum wont either, as long as it helps the BHWT. me likewise.. the one with my butt in it is likely to be very popular though..... Phil Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Linda Posted January 29, 2007 Share Posted January 29, 2007 What a good way the deflect the attention away from the chickens! They will probably be feeling really shy for their first photo call and be grateful that all lenses are pointing towards Phil's bum!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gooner.girl Posted January 29, 2007 Share Posted January 29, 2007 You can use the pics with me in if you want, I dont mind at all and my Mum wont either, as long as it helps the BHWT. me likewise.. the one with my butt in it is likely to be very popular though..... Phil Yeah, that will be a real selling point Phil! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
buffie Posted January 29, 2007 Share Posted January 29, 2007 Not sure what to say BBx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...