Happymama

Chickens haven't laid since NOVEMBER!

Well, I know it's a bit cold, but they've stopped moulting SINCE CHRISTMAS and get loads of green sprout tops etc, and live yog with porridge and apple and poultry spice twice a week.

What else can I do. I'm buying a dozen organic eggs a week, and I just can't afford it!

Foxes are a problem this time of the year, and we've banned the smelly (to foxes) dogs from the garden because of the mud in the house, so there's nothing to keep them off, so I can't let them out too much.

They are in fine fettle and have gone a bit wild, won't come unless they're hungry and then I get bleeding knuckles for my pains. I can't vaseline them unless I starve them for a day. Combs pleasantly flourescent, and upright and happy. Absolutely nowt wrong with them.

WHERE'S THOSE EGGS!

Don't worry too much Happymama, my posh little pure-breeds hadn't laid since October due to moulting and the dark/cold :roll: . They've only just started again now after I fed them some tuna last week - I'm convinced that it helped and they all now have red combs.

Ooooo what sort of tuna did you use Clare? My girls stopped laying as soon as the days got shorter :roll:

Well, since then, I've had two eggs, so at least one of them is finally laying.

Their poo has changed colour, it was very dark before they started laying again, now it's (or some of it) is lighter brown, don't know if this is significant. Very odd. Noticed it when I cleaned them out this morning.

I need to clip them before I let them out, but they're doing ok for greenstuffs with kitchen throw-out, AXH is wasting an aweful lot of food so I give it to the hens when he throws it out!

They're both out dozing on one leg in the sun at the moment.

I feed mine live yog with porridge oats and poultry spice as a treat once a week. Didn't think of tuna!