lynda.chatfield

They kick all their bedding out of the hutch!!!

Hi there,

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

We've got two mini lops, Billy and Lily, and they have, over the last few months, started to kick all their bedding all over the run. Now forgive me for being precious about my small postage stamp sized bit of lawn, but I'm not loving it covered in woodshavings and straw.

:(

I tried using just news paper, all ripped up - that went everywhere; I tried news paper, just flat, not ripped up, and they ripped up for me, and then kicked it all over the place, I tried that "Care Fresh" bedding with the same results. So now I've taken to removing the bedding during the day and putting it back in at night when I shut them in. The problem with this method is that the tray gets wet with their urine during the day, which I appreciate is not too clever. If I even leave a bit in there to soak up some of the liquid, they still kick it out.

If I leave the bedding in during the day, they kick it out of the Eglu, creating the same problem. If I didn't shut them in at night, their feet would get really wet and matted from the liquid in the eglu and the moisture on the grass. At least by shutting them in, they get 10 hours of dry feet! :D We've already had one visit to the vet with matted feet, she told me to definately shut them in over the winter months.

So has anyone got any bright ideas on what I should do?

:?:

Lynda.

(blackrabbit)

(creamrabbit)

(red eglu)

This is tricky, I don,t shut mine in at night, I'm no expert but I think by shutting them in could be the problem, boredom! 10 hours is a long time to bunnies, mine are on the patio at the moment and yes it gets wet, even with three omlet covers on and tarpaulin, but I,ve put in a couple of tree stumps for them to sit on, also a little plastic dog bed, lined with paper and hay, they always snuggle up in that during the day.not sure what else to advise, but hopefully someone else will have some ideas. Good luck.

Thanks for your imput, but I'm still not sure what I should do. :(

Are Billy and Lily telling me that they don't want me to put any bedding in the eglu? I tried putting a corner litter tray in the run, but they just kicked that everywhere. There's toys in the run from Ross Rabbits, to give them something to play with, and take their minds off kicking bedding about as a pastime!

My issue is not really with the lawn, but with what should soak up the urine. It just sits on the floor of the eglu tray, so when they hop in, it soaks into the pads on their feet, which the vet said was really bad, and Billy had inflamed skin as a result. Hence the shutting in them in at night. As the weather warms up I might think again, although that doesn't make the problem of the bedding go away, or the urine on the pads. I always put some toys and a hunk of wood for them to chew on when I shut them in, to try to prevent too much boredom, along with their pellets, hay and water, but I take your point about 10 hours being a long time in an eglu! I still take the majority of the woodchips and straw out in the morning, just to save me a job later, and put it back in at bed time.

I'm going to get a little plastic dog basket, and line it with paper and hay, as pepe suggested, but I don't hold out much hope! I think they'll just turn it over!

Has anyone got any ideas? I so want to do the right thing, for Billy and Lily. :?

What they are telling you Lynda is that they don't want bedding in their toilet :lol:

Bunnies don't, as a rule use bedding like Guineas do; they are very active at night and tend to sleep more during the day, so don't like beign locked in. Mine are litter trained when in their posh wooden hutch, but always want to use their Rablu as a loo rather than the litter tray that's in their run :roll:

I use wood pellet cat litter in the rablu as it's absorbent, non-toxic and easy to clean. The run is covered with an Ikea shower curtain to keep the weather out and a shade in the summer. Try filling a plastic dog bed with some straw for them to snuggle in.

Right! I'm now officially a mad bunny owner!

I've got my dog bed, my cat litter (the wooden ones as you suggested Clare) and I even got a snugglesafe!! I've lined the dog bed with newspaper and hay, tucked the snugglesafe in amongst the paper, and Billy's LOVIN' it,:D Lily's still not sure yet! :roll:

Spent far too much at the pet shop!! :oops:

So far, the dog bed is still full and the right way up, and the cat litter is where it should be!! Mind you, it's only been in there 15 minutes!

So now tonight do I shut Billy and Lily in or leave them out? It was -6 degrees last night.

Lynda.

Hi, I use the Bliss bedding for the rabbits the same as I use for my chickens, it is similar to auboise ( a horse bedding and is very absorbant)It is in quite small pieces and therfore difficult to throw around. I line a cat litter tray with newspaper and then fill it with Bliss. The rabbits love it and it soaks up all their wee. Very good on the compost heap too, as totally biodegradable. The best bit is that a HUGE plastic wrapped bale costs £7 which seems good value to me compared to the stuff in pet shops.

My rabbits throw their stainless steel food bowl around the run instead and run it along the wire to make a point that they would like feeding!!

Helen

I also wanted to say that I don't shut my bunnies up at night either as they are basically nocturnal animals. They are on the patio with a wooden hutch sat on top of a large run with a ramp as access up and down. Their hutch is full of hay and the run has an omlet summer cover over it and hay down on a third of the floor. I think it is as warm in the run as the hutch really as the 3 of them huddle together for warmth.

We do get bothered by a fox at night but the bunnies thump their feet so loud in alarm it wakes us up and we chase the fox away or let the dog out. The rabbits can escape from the attention of mr Fox by hiding upstairs in the sleeping quarters of the hutch.

So far this arrangement has worked well but it was VERY cold here in High Wycombe ay minus 7!!!

OK guys, I'm following your sound advice, and I'm leaving them out tonight, and if I wake up to two stiff rabbits, I'll be on here at 6.30am !! :anxious::anxious::anxious:

Slightly terrified of this prospect actually happening, I have to say, but will do the sugglesafe a couple of times during the night.

You'll be delighted to know that the dog basket is a huge hit at the moment, with both of them snuggled up and looking very cute! And only a small amount of the litter has been thrown out of the eglu, so far! :D

Thanks for the top tips chaps.

Lynda.

(blackrabbit)(whiterabbit)(red eglu)

Good luck Lynda, I'm sure that they will be fine, think of all those poor wild bunnies who have no bedding etc!

My bunnies are now feeling very unloved as they don't have a dog bed to snuggle up in so off to the pet shop tomorrow. What size bed should I buy for 3 average sized rabbits? I have a labrador sized one!!

Hope it's not too cold and snowy tonight!!

HI everyone! I'm the dog bed person :lol: I bought the 20inch one, my bunnies are small and medium. I line my rablu with two newspapers, this is changed every three days. As I said before they use the lit tray and rablu as their toilet :? Hope all goes well Lynda tonight, Like everyone says, keeping them out at least gives them a choice, I've also got 2 snugglesafes :D yes I know, pampered bunnies!!!

Yes, we're leaving them out tonight. They seem to be loving their dog bed, and they both snuggle up together in there, the heat from the snugglesafe was appreciated last night I should think - we woke to 6cm of snow this morning! No poos in the dog basket, so I guess we've just got a really expensive, (although really cool looking) litter tray in the form of the eglu!!

I did have a bit of the cat litter chucked out this evening, but it's much improved on the way it was before.

So thanks for all the advice chaps, the bunnies are a lot happier and so are Ryan, Ted and I! :D:D:D

Well, despite my husband thinking I am mad, I rushed out and bout a small plastic dog bed for my three yesterday as it was so wet and cold. Molly was sat on snow covered hay in the run and I was bothered that they would get wet, soggy bottoms. Well, it has worked a treat all three are snuggled up in it and off the wet floor. I think I should have got the next size up but at least being squashed together they will keep warm. I filled it with Bliis horse bedding and hay so they can nibble and doze at the same time!!

Thanks for such a great idea guys.

:D I am soooo pleased I am not the only one with bunnies who use their eglu as a loo!

:oops: We used to have a bunny and a guinea in together, which worked fine when they were younger but then bunny decided to empty the eglu every night of bedding, so we had to separate them, find bunny a new friend AND put guinea in another hutch with another guinea to keep them all happy!

Then we had Snowy (the main culprit!) 'done' at the vets and for a while all was fine...until she started all over again, this time ably abetted by her new friend 'Toffee' who was litter trained until he came to us!!

No attempts at getting them to use litter trays in the run have worked so I think I'm off to get a doggy bed now too!

They stay out all weathers with extra long Eglu cover and plenty of straw which stays dry under it, despite amazing West Country storms and they just seem happier that way! (Please see sep post about this in bad storms!)

Okay how about this one then.

So it seems that most bunnies seem happier using the eglu as a "bunnyloo" :D so do most people put their food out in the run and ignore the beautifully designed hay rack/water bottle/bowl set up inside?:?: It's easy enough to keep the pellets dry under the covers which we all seem to use. So what do most bunnies prefer - eating in? Or al fresco?

Lynda, with

Ryan and his (whiterabbit) - Billy and

Ted and his (blackrabbit) - Lilly

in a (red eglu)

and very snuggly together!

Hi Lynda! I don't use the hay rack, I've changed the steel bowl for a ceramic one, as buster kept on chucking it about :x they do eat inside, and they dash inside as soon as they hear me shake their food :lol: the water bottle is on the door at the end ofthe run!