ChrisEllis

Duck grazed its wing

Just when i thought it could get any worse it did, Dolly - are cumberland blue female runner is now limping, and has been for about 4 days now, her leg loks a bit more swollen on the limping side and she sits down quite a lot and doesn't move around to much.

On top of that they hardly go near their pond and drunk from it once and didnt even touch it. this really is unbelievable and beyond belief. Any ideas - worrying here :cry::pray:

You might want to keep an eye on her foot, is there a cut or scratch, could she have anything stuck in it? If you can, when its dark and they're going to sleep (so she's quieter and sleepy) pick her up and have a look at it (compare it with the other), see if it feels hot to the touch.

On top of that they hardly go near their pond and drunk from it once and didnt even touch it. this really is unbelievable and beyond belief. Any ideas - worrying here :cry::pray:

Time ... :wink:

They'll still be weary of the changes and their new house/pond. Can they get in and out of it easily?

Maybe slowly encourange them into it so they know its there, and step back a long way so they don't see you as a threat, and enjoy it.

Hi Chris

Being a new duck owner is stressful - I can vouch for that :) . I worried about everything at the start so you are not alone! I worried were they eating enough, did they have enough space, why are they sitting down, why won't they come near .... the list is endless. In time you learn to relax a bit as you realise how resilient your feathered friends actually are.

Have you got a pic of your pond - it is strange that they won't go in, can they get in and out easily? I find tht if I splash my fingers in water anywhere they come running.

JJ

I dont think that there could be a better pond than what we have bought hehe, its a flexi pond that doesnt break and goes into the ground and is at ground level - its not too deep and its made so teh sides of it are raised like platforms - its literally perfect - although i woke up this morning to my mum telling me that our black runner went for a swim (thats what i get for lying in) - missed their first swim haha and yh i'll post a picture for you soon.

i will have a look at the blue ones foot etc to see if anything looks bad - give it a wash and dry and see if i can see anything.