Dharma chick

? Bumper bit for chicken who pecks

Hi,

I have three hybrid chickens and one of them has a history of pecking the others. About six months ago she severly attacked one who ended up having surgery. We seperated them and after all wounds had healed we gradually intergrated them. However during the snowy weather she started to peck both of them again. Once again we have had to seperate them.

When she is free ranging she is fine but she does seem to have got into a habit pecking the others. She is a lovely chicken and i don't really want to rehome her, however it does not seem fair for her to be separate for long periods.

So....... i was wondering about puting a 'bumper bit' on her for a while hoping that the habit could be broken. However i do not know how they work or where you can obtain them.

Thankyou for your help.

Dharma chick

you can get them on eBay (not sure if i can paste a link - just search on Bumper Bits) and there is a step by step guide on here soemwhere on how to put them on. it helps if you have some circlips (which you can get from halfords or borrow from a jewellers) as they open when you close the handles. it's a two man job too so rope someone in.

totally worth it though. bumper bits really helped stop atila from hurting the other 2 and made everyone just settle down.

I got my bumper bits from the Wernlas Collection, they post them out :D

They do help stop the pecking behaviour. I had to put one on Polly one of my ex batts, but she had it taken off for good behaviour after 6 weeks and has been fine :D

My bully wasn't put off so easily - the bumper bit means she cannot do damage - she still chases and tries to injure. It was fitted last July and she has now worn through the end, so started drawing blood again this week (once she discovered she could do it again!)

Like SC I contacted Wernlas - basically for sending them a SAE and 2 * 1st class stamps they are posting me 6 bumper bits by return. In the meantime she is in isolation with an eglu and run all to herself - she is very happy scratching around and not worrying about her lost sisters in the cube.

Tracy