MedusA

Pics of bees eating fondant

I thought some of the new beekeepers on here might be interested in seeing these pics I took recently.

They show my bees making inroads into the block of fondant they had for Christmas....

IMG_5464.jpg

....and a rather fuzzy close up of the bees at work (apologies for the reflections on the plastic - I'm a rubbish photographer). :oops:

IMG_5460.jpg

I went to see ours yesterday, since the temperature rose to a dizzying 10C. Whipped the lids off for a quick look, and both colonies seem to be OK, both making inroads on the fondant very like MedusA's photos.

There were even a few bees out and about, presumably on cleansing flights. Plus the crocuses are beginning to bloom. I'm very relieved that they've made it this far, but with cold wet weather still forecast, I guess we're not out of danger yet!

I had another sneaky peak yesterday and the "window" in the fondant is getting much bigger. :lol:

They still have plenty left to munch through though, so I'm hopeful my block will last the season.

I can't wait for the new season as I plan to expand my honeybee empire by 100% (get another hive, that is). :lol::lol::lol:

I had another sneaky peak yesterday and the "window" in the fondant is getting much bigger. :lol:

They still have plenty left to munch through though, so I'm hopeful my block will last the season.

I can't wait for the new season as I plan to expand my honeybee empire by 100% (get another hive, that is). :lol::lol::lol:

I don't know whether you get "Beecraft"? Ours just arrived. There's an article about winter feeding that suggests that as the colony starts to build up in March, they may easily consume 5 pounds of stores a week!

I'm going to keep a close eye on them and be ready with more fondant or a bulk feeder with syrup as soon as the weather improves.

We too are hoping to expand in our second year. It would be nice to go up to 4 hives, but I think that'll be enough. :)

I've been told that despite getting through the winter ok, bees can starve between now and the end of March because although it's warm enough for them to fly, there isn't enough foraging out there for them. Mine still had stores of honey but I put fondant on anyway.

I'm also hoping to double my colonies (from 1 to 2) not least because we've just had a talk on the artificial swarm method. I'll need a spare brood box and I might as well start a second colony at that point I think.