Mrs G

Miniature Egg??

I have three hens, who laid an egg each every day until winter kicked in, then we were reduced to one a day - not a problem, although hope the other two start again soon :wink: (last year they kept to their 3 a day all through winter - I assumed that was the enthusiasm of youth?)

Today DH went to let them out this morning and there was our morning egg, as expected, but then when I went out later to clean them out I found the smallest egg I have ever seen from them - it's probably somewhere between the size of a Quaills egg and a Cadbury's mini egg (other chocolate eggs are available :wink: )

Has anyone any ideas what has happened? Is this normal?

Yes it is, its often called a wind egg, usually something triggers the system to make an egg, it gets encased as if it was a yolk and sent down the system, people have found bits of grit inside them others have found nothing visible

but to answer your question its not terribly common but it is normal

:doh: If only I'd remembered there is a small egg leader board.

We had our first wind egg a couple of days ago from our Pepperpot and may have been in the running - especially since I bought new scales which go up 1g at a time - however we used it at dinner tonight (the white was very firm). Since then she has laid two eggs, each apx 10g larger than average!