tooties

Advice on run & mud please

I have an eglu with a run & converter. At my previous house they were sited on concrete with wood chips.

Now I have moved house they are on grass, I'm hoping to be able to build a WIR at some point, but this may not be until next year.

Their run is getting v muddy, and its been less than a week! All the grass has disappeared already :-) Would you advise:

a) woodchip on the mud

b) abouise or similar on some kind of tarpaulin? If so, where can I get one big enough?

thanks

For short term, I would use horse bedding (auboise, hemcore etc) and then just get a cheepy clear plastic shower curtain to cover the run with. Either that, or clear corrugated plastic sheets from Wickes or similar.

If it's not long term, this maybe cheaper than tarpaulin I think??

In the short term, you could cover the run with corrugated plastic sheets which are relatively cheap £7 - £15 depending upon size, then put something like Aubiose down. I have both sets of mine on an area of deep bark chippings edged with old scaffolding planks. This works well as a permenant surface, they turn it over pretty well and it doesn't get too muddy if partially covered.

I have covered the run and I went to a local tree surgeon and he has given me some bark chips for free. In fact he wants me to take as much as possible because it saves him having to get them removed. Only had them down 1 week so I will see properly at the weekend what condition they are in. However, how often do you get something for nothing? :lol: Ben at Hen House Poultry suggested it so if it's good enough for him...

Yes bark chip not great harbours moulds and spores and gets wet and slippy

WOOD chip is excellent especially if hard wood

I would imagine the tree surgeon's stuff is primarily woodchip depending on what he has been working on

Also some things are bad if they are in tree surgeon's loads, I cant remember what though, particular types of tree are a no no

If its free and primarily woodchip with no nasty poisonous stuff its worth having :D

If it's really muddy / boggy (like my clay garden), weed control fabric on the ground, then woodchip / aubiose etc on top works well. My chickens are living in a swamp this week (hope the rain stops soon) but the run is still lovely and clean. I always put them in the run an hour before bedtime, so they have clean feet when they go in their house!!

Good to provide a dust bath if the ground is covered though.