Old Speckled Hen

Heater Bees

Now, that is interesting. I'd always understood that all bees (excluding the queen and drones) did all the jobs, just at different stages. This seems to say that some bees never leave the hive.

I will try and watch - or record - that programme.

The world of the colony never ceases to amaze me. I think this is why I like beekeeping, although you don't get close to an individual bee like you do with poultry, pets and livestock, the way they operate as a unit with the collective good always taking precedence over the individual is absolutely fascinating. I am in awe of them.

We had a talk at our BKA just after I joined last year. It was given by someone from the NBU and he told us about the heater bees. I'm still as fascinated now as I was then about the social construction of a bee colony. They truly are amazing creatures. I'll try to watch the programme when it's on. :D

Very interesting line of research, and supports the idea of interfering in the lives of bees as little as possible.

Beekeepers have always considered that empty cells in a brood comb were a 'bad thing' and indicated a queen who was not up to scratch. This research shows that there is a good reason for leaving empty cells here and there - so these 'heater bees' can climb in and keep the brood around them warm. The selection criteria will have to be reviewed, methinks.

I also think this is a good argument for natural comb vs foundation: the bees have complete control over cell size and wall thickness, both of which may play a part in this heating process.