motherhen

Sending chickens abroad for Christmas

Just out of interest I was wondering how many chickens we omleterians are sending to Africa etc with the Oxfam and similar schemes?

I've done one lot of Oxfam 10 chickens - am giving card to Son who has just finished first term at uni. I've told him part of his present involves hens but it is nothing his College will stop him doing. Quite true, but the poor chap is dreading being presented with an eglu and 2 hens for the College lawns! Very naughty of me I know but he'll get a lovely surprise on Saturday when he opens the Oxfam card. It isn't that he doesn't like Sybil and Pollo (infact he goes and collects eggs and talks to them when no-one is looking) but he doesn't think hens at uni will do anything for his image!

Jane

I'd love to see his face! My son (30) would be just as worried. He's been buiding the big run and then Eglu Towers. Every time he went in the run to do something and he put any tools down it was always in chicken poo! He goes around all the time muttering about chicken poo but he also goes off and talks to them if he thinks no-one is looking!

We haven't bought any chickens this year as we are all early shoppers and by the time I noticed, it was too late. We have already discussed it ready for next year and will also look at other ethical presents. We are going to buy 'a bicycle for a midwife in the Sudan' - probably as a New Year gift.

Check out www.greatgifts.org - you can 'Buy a Bog' for £33 - present for son next year I think!

Lesley

Thanks Lesley for that website address - what a great idea! I've just bought a goat and some pigs as last minute gifts for friends - we may even consider having our wedding list there now too.

Thanks

Sue

I think that would be a wonderful idea, I would never have thought of that!

Lesley

I'd love to do it for my children but, as Karen says, they wouldn't appreciate it - mine are 11 and 14 and at the moment would be very upset to find I'd spent "their" Christmas present money on someone else. In a few years time, maybe they won't be quite so selfish - one can hope anyway!

I've left it a bit late this year, but next year, my difficult to buy presents for parents will be getting goats and chickens!

It's not until May!

Unfortunately I don't think it can really be classed as an Omlet wedding as no chickens will actually be taking part on the day (although may be eaten at the reception!). Whilst we would have loved Felicity & Penelope to be bridesmaids, we are getting married in Prague so unfortunately could not arrange the passports! :D