Chickpea

No place to lay!

Just let the new girls into the run, and the old girls are outside freeranging, but I've just thought of a potential problem: usually Honey & Maple are good as gold and always lay in the nest box when they are out freeranging, but now I've got the run closed off to them where will they go? I don't want them to get out of this habit! Should I make up a make shift nesting box near the entrance to the run? And would the intro of two new hens put them off? (They're still making a hell of a racket :roll: )

Hi Lucy.

I had a similar problem when I got my new girls.

We had the Eglu & run in a big pen with the big girls in the pen bit & the newbies in the Eglu run with the Eglu attatched.

I shut off the Eglu door as the new girls were not yet in lay & opened the egg port door for the old girls to pop in & do what they do :P

However,if your new girls are also in lay (I have done this too) get a low round bowl....I used a wooden fruit bowl, & line it with whatever you normally put in the nesting box.

Just pop it somewhere discreeet.I put a big plastic recycling box on its side & put it in there, & show the hens when they get the urge.

They will soon get the idea ,after all they can't hold onto that egg forever :lol:

However,if your new girls are also in lay (I have done this too) get a low round bowl....I used a wooden fruit bowl, & line it with whatever you normally put in the nesting box.

:lol:

I seem to remember someone using a roasting tin/ casserole pot :shock::twisted::roll:

I think sutting off the run door to the eglu and opening the hatch sounds like a good idea!!!