SAB

Animal Courier Service - used one anyone?

Hi

I have transported horses via professional people and really excellent as they do it all the time!

Not sure about other animals? The lady I purchased my dog from had some strange enquiries with people wanting to buy the pups but send a courier to collect, she did refuse to do it this way. I had never heard of it, sounded dodgey to me?

I think I would check with your vet as not sure if they have to be licenced?? or ring RSPCA or local homing centre as they may be able to advise., intrigued now to know what you find out

good luck indie :)

Thanks. I am just trying trying for some info at present as we are hoping to get a great dane pup at some point in near future but do not have transport and someone had suggested courier. I would intent to visit the breeder but had wondered about feasibility of the pup being couriered, I would certainly never arrange to just get the pup by courier without seeing the pup and letting the breeder meet me - that does indeed sound well dodgy and good on that breeder for not going for it! But, I unless someone knows of a really reputable (and reasonably priced) animal courier, I would be too scared to go down that route in case I had paid the breeder and then the courier did a runner with my 4 legged pride and joy. Mmmm - hope I can find a suitable dane at the right time closer to home (near Glasgow).

Good to know about the horses though, trying to stall her for a few years, but think my 13 year old daughter has equine plans for the future!

My husband loves Danes but he's not getting one! They're dogs you don't see many of up here aren't they? I've only come across one on our travels with our dogs and it was a beautiful black Dane that had come from one of the Glasgow rescue centres. I haven't couriered an animal before because the breeder we bought our dogs from wanted us to pick up in person from Newcastle. The first time we went to visit the dog and then the following week we drove down again to pick her up. With the second dog she wanted us down again to make sure the old dog didn't take a complete dislike to the new dog. You'll be glad to hear horse transport is quite straight forward to arrange!

Becka

Oh let your poor husband get a Dane, they are gorgeous. My teenage daughter has been obsessed with them since she saw one as a baby, how she knew to shout "dog" I don't know as must have seemed like a horse to her then! I love them too and we are now in a position to get one in near future, so just a case of finding the right one close enough.

The rescue Dane you mentioned is probably the same one I saw at rescue a while back, but we were not in position to take on at that point - a beauty.

Cruel as it may sound, I can't imagine being able to cope with the slobber on the ceiling! I love the look of Danes but I've two German Shepherds that I trained and am responsible for and I just know his dog would very soon become my dog. Now, I am trying very hard to persuade him we really need a horse or two in a couple of years time so I've started sowing the seeds to break him in gently. I would consider a deal of a Dane for horseshttp://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=28&t=62385#

Are you looking at a Dane specific rescue or just from one of unspecific rescues? What sort of car do you need to accommodate a GD? We've had trouble getting our dogs into the boot because of the height from the ground and they don't like the slippery surface the tailgate is made from as they take a run at the boot, hit the drop-down tailgate and slide into the boot at speed. Lifting 30kg of wet, smelly and muddy dog is just backbreaking and downright dirty!

Becka