TheChookKeeper

Beehaus en-route!

Hoorah! The time has come... my shiny yellow Beehaus is on it's way - delivery tomorrow! :D:D:D

Disappointingly though, no bees available... anywhere!

They reckon it'll be another 4 WEEKS before they can get me some - :x

Rather disappointing on the bee-front... but I can still enjoy putting it all together!

Does anyone know if it is OK to construct the frames, and put them inside when there are no bees? I'd have thought it was fine, as there is no food in there - so the worst that could happen would be a stray swarm might fly in (unlikely, I know - but here's hoping!!!)

Thanks!

- so the worst that could happen would be a stray swarm might fly in (unlikely, I know - but here's hoping!!!)

Thanks!

Thats is what I would hope for, and you could always add a swarm lure to help things along. You can buy them or some lemon grass esential oil will do the same.

Well, it's here... but I'm afraid Mr & Mrs Omlet have let me down rather - not terribly impressed. :(

The Beehaus itself is fine, I screwed the legs on (yeah, get me and my AMAZING DIY skills!), and it is now standing in pride of place in my garden... but unwrapped it all to discover no instructions, no guide to beekeeping, no clearer boards, and most disappointingly, no brood frames.

I realise I might be blowing this out of proportion a bit - but I really do think it is extremely poor on Omlet's part, they have had my order for this Beehaus for about a month, and in that time, you'd have thought they could have ensured they'd have all the bits.

I phoned them this afternoon, to tell them the bits were missing, only to be told that they KNEW they were missing, it's just no-one thought it would be a good idea to tell me - I was rather disappointed, to say the least.

Apparently, they don't have any clearer boards or frames in stock. Really not acceptable - they clearly just buy the frames in - and a month is plenty of time to get some in.

I'm also rather disappointed with the quality of the Eglu Cube I bought at the same time for my parents - but that's another story.

All in all - feeling rather let down by Omlet at the moment - and even less impressed with their support over the phone - not exactly apologetic. So - I won't be baiting any swarms any time soon :( They reckon they can get the frames to me by the end of next week - and the bees I ordered will be another month or so. :(

That's disappointing; OK you might not use the frames until you got the bees, but the guide, instructions, and the like are always pretty good to ahve at the time. H'rrmmf.

I think the promise of UK bees was always going to be difficult for Omlet to meet, particualrly for spring deliveries, in some years (this being one of them!) given the level of losses, number of new beeks, etc; but perhaps they should either not make the promise or not accept orders until they can be sure they will be able to meet obligations.

Quite...

As I say, I perfectly understand the lack of bees - I'm disappointed I couldn't get them sooner - but there isn't anything Omlet, or anyone else could do about that - it's just the nature of the beast (or rather, the weather!).

But the lack of parts is just not on - as I say, my order wasn't last minute - they've known about the delivery date for a month, and they still couldn't manage it.

Still not happy - 24 hours on!!! :evil:

All in all - feeling rather let down by Omlet at the moment:(

Steve, could you PM me with your contact details so I can give you a call to discuss your above posts and to see if there is anything that I can do to help...

With regards to bees, the latest from our bee farmers is that the bees are coming on well. In order to make the nucleus colonies they have to split an existing colony and raise a new queen, the very cold weather and late arrival of spring has meant that the colonies have taken longer to build up to the required strength to enable the split to take place. Now that spring has finally sprung they are starting this process and so deliveries of bees will be possible towards the end of May. I know this is later than anticipated but the schedule has to be dictated by the bees and they in turn are dictated to by the weather. We are looking forward to getting the bees to you as soon as possible so as and when the nucleus colonies become available we will pull out all the stops to get them to you.

As for the clearer boards - yes I am afraid that we currently out of stock of the yellow and we are due a delivery in from our suppliers within the next month... we work with suppliers from the continent and due to the massive disruption caused by the ash cloud which many of you know brought British travel to it's knees is still having a knock on affect on our stock shipments and we are doing everything we can to improve this, however we are dependent on our suppliers...

The brood frames - again our suppliers have promised us week in and week out that we would be receiving a shipment of frames, but again we have been massively let down by them and are looking at alternative suppliers, once we have secured this we will ensure your frames and any other missing parts are sent out without fail.

Please accept my sincere apologies, I know how frustrating this is for you, I myself am awaiting delivery of my frames/clearer boards and bees....

With kindest regards,

I installed my first bees into the BeeHaus on saturday - I was SOOOO excited! Also, SOOO terrified I'd do something wrong!

But, all was well - I was very worried that about 20 minutes after putting them in, there was still no sign of any bees around the entrance... but I was pacified by my family... telling me I was expecting rather a lot of them!

It looks like a smashing nuc - 5 frames (unfortunately on National frames - so I will have to convert them onto 14x12's over time), but the lady I got them from said she added extra bees in there - she thought there were about 20-30k in there - so much bigger than an average nuc. She also commented on what a lovely queen it was - very gentle. Certainly - they were very placid when I put them in the BeeHaus, and again today when I opened them up to give them some food, and to put a couple of 14x12 frames in - hardly any upset bees at all (although the weather probably helped - it wasn't very nice!).

Unfortunately, Omlet STILL haven't managed to send me any brood frames - so I have had to go and buy my own :evil:

I was told they would arrive by the end of last week - which is why I arranged to collect my nuc this weekend. Alas - let down again. No explaination - no doubt it is problems with suppliers. Strange - my suppliers could get me some just like that. Perhaps Omlet need to rethink their choice of supplier?

Still - the new bees seem happy - so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some nice weather - so they can tear across their new frames, and get underway properly!

Congrats on the bees 8)

Alas - another week goes by without any word from Omlet, or any of my missing parts.

I've had to buy frames from elsewhere now. :evil:

I'd try phoning them (number is at the bottom of the forum) or emailing Quin :)

I e-mailed Quin way back over the bank holiday weekend - but no reply.

I'll try giving them a ring - the lack of clearer boards is becoming more pressing now! I'm glad I didn't wait around for Omlet - I'd still be sitting here with a great big yellow tea-chest, rather than a functional yellow BeeHaus! :roll: