xScrunchee

4 out of 6 laying :-) Lots of pics.

I am so happy!

Yesterday we got 4 quail eggs so now we are only waiting for two to start laying.

I am surprised that each quail lays a different coloured egg. I sort of assumed that all of the eggs would pretty much look the same as eachother.

Just wanted to share a few pics :-)

DSC00904_2.jpg

DSC00888_2.jpg

DSC00877-1.jpg

They are getting on really well with their new water bottles.

DSC00874-1.jpg

I decided to put some leafy twigs in for them to peck at and hide behind. They absolutely love it!! They run in and out and take turns eating the leaves.

DSC00887-1.jpg

They are such lovely little eggs - I noticed that the different coloured quail layed a different coloured egg, which I was surprised at - also quite surprised when I saw the egg being produced yesterday - made my eggs water!!!

They are such lovely little eggs - I noticed that the different coloured quail layed a different coloured egg, which I was surprised at - also quite surprised when I saw the egg being produced yesterday - made my eggs water!!!

lol-yep, it certainly doesn't look comfortable. I'm just glad I'm not a quail or a hen! :lol:

I was even more surprised at the massive difference in eggs because all of my quail look the same as eachother.

Nice though, although so far we only know which egg Brownie lays-we have no idea who has laid the others.

I only know Brownies egg because she does a high pitched squeal after laying :?

Will just have to keep spying on them to try to match egg with quail. :lol:

Thank you for the congrats Lewis 8)

Thanks Jan :D

The red spouts are from Ebay. Paid about £4.00 for two and they come with two springs to hold the bottles onto the wire.

You just use your own bottles. (Small coke/Dr Pepper bottles).

The quail love them and the water stays clean. It's also easy for me to take two full bottles outside and just swap them rather than having to take the bottles off and refill them :D

I have a quail question which I might as well ask here instead of starting another thread...............

Saturday I had 4 eggs so- two extra's.

However, yesterday and today we are back to two eggs but the worrying part is that two of the quail are a little shaky and fluffed up.

I'm thinking it could be the two that laid for the first time on Saturday and they are having problems laying??

I have put a tiny bit of citricidal in the water, they have recently been wormed etc.

I cannot see any obvious problems (no prolapse etc), so any ideas what it might be? Or do they sometimes shiver for no reason? Or could it be as simple as them feeling a little chilly?

Sorry-I know it's long :oops:

Thank you :D

Have never really noticed them shivering, but it could just be to do with getting into the swing of laying :)

Might not be anything - I'd see how they are tomorrow and then tonic in their water shouldn't do them any harm.

As Lewis said, just keep an eye on them. It's probably nothing.

Are they used to being outside?

Mine had been kept in a shed at the breeders and they had the odd little shiver every now and again when they first arrived. They soon got used to enjoying the open space and the dustbathing.

I have no idea where the breeder kept them :?

The 2 that were shivering do seem better and the shivers did coincide with the more chilly weather so possibly they were just cold. Beyonce still looks a bit bedraggled though compared to the other 5. Will just keep my eye on her.

Still only getting 2 eggs a day again but no doubt they will all get into the swing of it soon enough.

I really do love them-they are great fun :D

Just a quick update.........

The quail all seem fine now :D

We are getting 4 eggs every day which is great and I have already had enough eggs to pickle some.

I just bought some silk/fake plant from Ebay so that they can go behind or under it and they absolutely love it!!!

I am going to get loads more so that they have plenty of cover and the good thing is that when it gets mucky I can give it a quick wash and it'll be good as new :wink: