legend21 Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 Hello all, I have looked on the Egg forum but cant find answer so I am looking for help here as I have seen in before but can remember where, Have tried search but not using correct words Anyway, one of the exbatts is breaking the shells and eating the eggs, I believe there is something that I can put in the nesting box to stop the girls getting to the eggs (perhaps I dreamt it) any one help me please Jackie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Falkor Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 Hi you could try blowing an egg and filling with mustard powder.... Some forum members have been trying out Chick Boxes but I am not sure that it would work in a cube nestbox. You can also buy plastic roll away nestboxes for less that £5 but again not sure they would fit in the Cube nest box Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickyhazel Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 You can buy plastic or china eggs to put in the nest box, your ex-batt will discover she can't break these and will give up. The mustard powder idea works but some find it difficult and fake eggs (or crock meggs, as some call them) are easier if you are willing to pay a few pounds. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daj198 Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 I heard of some people's hens who loved the mustard... so this may be a messy and potentially counter-productive venture. You could try putting rubber eggs in the nest box. Hopefully, they'll go broody and forget that they ate eggs when they were laying. When they start to lay again, they should have stopped eating them. If they don't go broody, hopefully when they realise that they can't break the rubber eggs, they'll give up. One very difficult method of dealing with this is to run out in the morning and remove the eggs as soon as they're laid. I hope this helps. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poachedegg Posted May 7, 2010 Share Posted May 7, 2010 We used the china/rubber eggs - think we got ours from Pets at Home and they worked. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...