umbrella thursday Posted May 21, 2010 Share Posted May 21, 2010 We've had our little flock of two pekins and two wyandotte bantams for over two years now and would love to get some new girls. My question is, could I fit any more banties in an eglu with run and extension panel or two. They are only really confined to the run first thing in the morning and for the rare weekend when we're away as they free range all day - the children and I are home most of the time. We can't afford a cube, although I'd love one at some point. at the moment we can't even run to another eglu. We feel very lucky to still have all four girls two years on and I guess another worry, aside from space, is upsetting the status quo. Do you think the old girls will start dying off from sadness - obviously I'll keep them separate and introduce them slowly as recommended on here. We'd also get our new girls from the same place, the Devonshire Traditional breed centre as they obviously gave us some lovely girls last time. thanks in advance for any help. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted May 21, 2010 Share Posted May 21, 2010 chicken arthmetic You're really only restricted by the size of the run; although they free range a lot by the sounds of things, you have to take into account that sometimes they will need to be in the run for all, or part of the day. To calculate how much room you need, you need to allow roughly 1metre square per chicken. Also take into account that you will need some alternative housing for a couple of weeks while you introduce and quarantine any new stock (see the introductions thread in the FAQ section). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted May 21, 2010 Share Posted May 21, 2010 I had six bantams in an Eglu with extended run (3m long in total) and if I'm honest it was a bit of a squeeze Two extensions and you'd probably be ok Claret has made a good point about intro housing and quarantine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
umbrella thursday Posted May 21, 2010 Author Share Posted May 21, 2010 thank you for the replies - the alternative housing and quarantining is all sorted as we are borrowing housing for the new girls it's just when they do all go in together I'm worried about. It is rare that they are restricted to the run but it is something I do need to think about obviously. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mollie333 Posted May 23, 2010 Share Posted May 23, 2010 Go with what Claret and Redwing says.. Goodluck. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...