prudance

Swarm in our chimney - suggestions please!

Hi, a swarm landed on our chimney last night, and this morning it would appear that they have moved inside and made themselves at home. Obviously not a danger to anyone and it's a lovely spot for them, but I'm more worried about the comb or honey dripping down inside. We no longer use this chimney, but I don't know how well it has been blocked off.

Any suggestions what to do? Would a local beekeeper want a swarm? Even if they did, not sure how anyone would get them on the roof... Humane suggestions please before my husband calls a pest controller!

Thanks,

Judith

Sorry, but once they are in the chimney it's going to be pretty much impossible to remove them humanely. :( Unless you're prepared to let them stay indefinitely - and although they are wonderful, they are not ideal house guests - then I think you probably do need to call a pest controller. They will need to be destroyed safely by someone who is licensed to use the appropriate chemicals.

Early intervention before too much comb and before any brood preferably.

Simply return the chimney to use. A cool, very smoky fire in the flue for a couple of days is going to chase them away.

Then get the pot capped with a suitable gauze to prevent future re-entry.

RAB