FruitandNutCake

Foster rabbit has Diarrhoea

I am looking after a rabbit for a few weeks (a friend was looking after a neighbours cat and rabbit while neighbour was supposedly on holiday - she then got a call to say the neighbour wasn't coming back for a few more weeks!!)

Anyway, I got him last night with a bag of his normal food, and today he has Diarrhea, which is sticking to his rear end quite badly. I gave him half a slice of apple - is this the likey cause, or could it just be stress of being moved?? I have already washed his bum once, but now need to do it again, and I'm concerned he will get more stressed with each wash. But I can't leave him with it stuck to him.

He is indoors in one of my indoor cages, so warm and dry after each wash.

It could be that the rabbit isn't used to apple but I think more likely that it is stress-related. Poor little thing and well done you for coming to the rescue. You're right, you can't leave him with a poopy bottom as it might attract flies, apart from being uncomfortable, smelly etc. Hopefully he will settle down quickly with you. You mention cages, so I'm guessing you have rabbits but if you are not familiar with them, diarrheoa can be quite serious if it doesn't clear up quickly, so it may be (poor little mite - more stress :( ) that a vet's visit might become necessary. I hope not and hope that you'll keep us posted :)

was updating the same time you replied!! Yes, I have kept rabbits for many years - and mostly rescued (often fostered rabbits end up permanently residing with me!!)

He has been in a wooden hutch for previous 5 days at his house, but I had a spare plastic bottomed cage that I find easier to keep clean, so maybe all the changes have upset him - but I'll keep apples of the menu to be safe!

And I had forgotten how smelly un-neutered males are as well!!

I would avoid all veg and give him minimal dry food for a few days to encourage him to eat as much hay as possible. If you can get hold of some avipro for his drinking water (PaH sell it I think) that would be good too. It's probably stress - keep him cool and quiet and give him something to hide in, or drape a towel over half his cage then he's got some privacy. If he doesn't eat anything for 24 hours he could be in stasis and would need to see the vet as an emergency. Hope he's OK soon!

Having had a look at pictures on the net, it now looks as though it was uneaten caecotrophs or caecals that he has been doing, rather than diarrhoea. They just look much wetter and lighter in colour than my own 3 rabbits do!

However, they now appear to be getting firmer and his normal hard pellets are starting to get larger ( to a more normal size and rate). He ate all his dry food in his bowl last night, so no stasis.

whew!

Well, his loose poo keeps returning, and I guess I may now know the reason! My friend says that the food that was left for him was a "value" type that was mainly cereal - so she treated him to a bag of more expensive "Wagg" Bunny Brunch. Also she treated him to some lettuce and cabbage while she was visiting him!

So, I have a bag of "Wagg" and a tonne of my own rabbit pellets (the type that contain everything and are green coloured so rabbits can't pick out the best bits and leave the rest!).

What should I feed him? Do I go and get a bag of value food (hoping it's the right brand) , and slowly start mixing in my own food and changing him over. Or should I stick with the "Wagg" Bunny bunch that he has been on for last week or two, and slowly convert him to my food?

I'm going to update other thread - but Pebbles has just come round from anaesthetic after having his large tumour successfully removed. And they spayed him at the same time. I've been increasing the amount of nuggets, so will see how he gets on with nuggets when he gets home.

He was in vets all day yesterday and I kept him indoors when I got him home, so no access to grass, and he seemed very clean. So I will keep him off the lawn completely while he recovers, and then slowly introduce a little grass to his diet before introducing veg, or letting him have the run of the lawn!

Yes thank you cathy, Bonnie is fine now. We noticed a problem 11 days ago (a Sunday) and called the vet but because there was no open wound or maggots (or anything other than she was agitated) we just kept a worried eye on her. The next morning all of the evidence was there. Even that quickly the vet said that we had been very lucky and the affected area is now scabbing nicely. Needless to say, we're obsessed with both her and Bandit's bottoms now in this hot weather. By the way, lavender oil sprinkled in the areas they litter, works a real treat. Since we've been using it there have been no flies in the eglu or run at all :D

Glad your one was OK - I once had a rabbit that had flystrike - but I noticed it within a day, washed out all the tiny maggots I could see and took her straight to vets - who said I had done very well to notice so quickly and get them out.

However that experience was enough to make me extra vigilant, and I also do not keep rabbits in a hutch any more, they have the run of the dining room or the large walk in run.

Lavender is a good idea, I have been hanging bunches up in the dining room, but will chop some up and sprinkle it around the litter trays.