Heidi-Hi Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Hi, Has anyone ever used a courier to collect a bird/birds from far far away? Any thoughts - positive or negative - will be appreciated. Thanks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Im not sure i'd trust a general courier. However, I believe Wernlas use someone...you could talk to them? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Heidi-Hi Posted July 23, 2010 Author Share Posted July 23, 2010 Just had a quick look at their website - they look very nice. Will give them a ring, thanks! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
miller30 Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 Hi i would check out that the birds come straight to you because sometimes they stop off and hold them over night and then they get mixed with other birds and thats not good for mites and diseases leanne. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 One of the drawbacks is that you wont be able to inspect the birds before you buy them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Heidi-Hi Posted July 23, 2010 Author Share Posted July 23, 2010 One of the drawbacks is that you wont be able to inspect the birds before you buy them. I know, it is a major drawback. It just seems that I will have to go a long way to get what I want It is either that, or hatch myself, and I don't know if I could do that Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 23, 2010 Share Posted July 23, 2010 What are you after? someone may know where you can get it closer Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Heidi-Hi Posted July 24, 2010 Author Share Posted July 24, 2010 I'm about three weeks away from being ready for my chickens. I am in Berkshire, and would love a Blue Laced Barnevelder. Not necessarily laying, but old enough to go outside. Maybe I will have to wait till next spring, and start looking again. It seems come end of summer chickens are a little bit harder to get hold of... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted July 24, 2010 Share Posted July 24, 2010 I'm about three weeks away from being ready for my chickens. I am in Berkshire, and would love a Blue Laced Barnevelder. Not necessarily laying, but old enough to go outside. Maybe I will have to wait till next spring, and start looking again. It seems come end of summer chickens are a little bit harder to get hold of... These are very rare as you are obviously aware! bantam or large and how many? I can put some feelers out for you if you like? What you will find is that the show breeders will evaluate their stock come September time, retain what they want to show or use to breed and then sell off any that dont make the cut, they wont want to keep birds over winter if they dont have to and will reduce numbers as much as they can so the autumn is when most will be available Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Heidi-Hi Posted July 24, 2010 Author Share Posted July 24, 2010 That would be wonderful! Large or Bantam, I don't mind. I've got space for 7 chickens - 4 will be hybrids and 3 pure breed. For some reason I have decided on an Arucana, Silver Pencilled Wyandotte and the Blue Laced Barnevelder. It will be wonderful if they became available...It seems the place to be in the UK for rare/pure breeds are Devon! Tried to persuade the OH to move there, but all I got was a grunt O well, worth a try! Thank you so much for your help! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted July 25, 2010 Share Posted July 25, 2010 It might be worth editing your title a little to request suggestions as to where to find your breed of chickens. Finding suppliers closer to home will mean that you can inspect your chickens which is so important. You need to give them, and the premises a really good look over. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...