janeears

Advice on 'ground cover' for Classic run

We are SOOOOOO excited because we've just ordered our first Eglu Classic with the run extension. It will be in a fixed position in our garden (not on grass) and we'd love some advice from you seasoned people on the best material to have under the run. I've seen the page on the website that advises wood chippings (or bark chippings? What's the difference?!!) and would appreciate any views on this matter. Many thanks.

I have mine on wood chippings. Bark chippings are softer and break down faster, so wood is better. Get it from garden centres, tree surgeons, or your local forestry commission place.

Make it a deep as you can, to better soak up poo and reduce the number of times you need to change it.

The only downside I have found so far is that the hens will kick it onto the mechanism that 'locks' the door and make it hard to close. I now keep a garden cane near the Eglu and use that to poke the wood bits out of the doorway if it won't close properly.

I use horse bedding, easybed, auboise etc. its for use in horses stables so you can imagine its very absorbant! The poo is dried almost straight away and it only needs cleaning every couple of months :dance: You will need to cover the run so it doesnt get wet though, a lot of people use the clear ikea shower curtains, at about 80p they are very cheap and easily replaceable. I would put something around the bottom edge of the run too or they will kick it out. I have used that plastic green lawn edging stuff, just cable tied to the run. :D

Many thanks for all your helpful advice. I have purchased chunky wood chippings today to satrt us off and will see how we go. I've noted the tip about keeping the door flap clear of wood so will probably have a pole to hand for that! I'm sure they'll be many more queries .......... bear with me if I post on 'daft' subjects in the near future!! Thanks.

We had so much trouble with our hens kicking dirt and woodchips into the locking mechanism that we put a couple of rows of slabs at the top end. A cane is fine to flick out woodchips but if your hens start to dig down into the earth right in front of the door, which ours did, it can be really hard to sort that out :?

Initially, we'd planned to put log edging around the barked area of the run but the appearance of concrete about 3" down has put paid to that idea!! We're now probably going to opt for the rotary washing line covers around the bottom of the run to ensure the the wood chips stay IN the run rather than being scattered all over our the patio! I love this forum because you were able to offer an easy, cheap solution to my dilemma!! Many thanks.