WitchHazel

Chicken Jaundice?

HI All.

My Cream Legbar hen, Milly, has been off-lay for a while, and today she looked really bedraggled. She's also moulting - lots of feathers everywhere - but I could see that she didn't look right in the vent area. I eventually managed to catch her, brought her in in the house, gave her some cat food to occupy her and give her extra protein) and inspected her.

She has moulted a lot around the vent, with lots of new feather shafts emerging. There was quite a lot of urates deposiy on the skin, so I cleaned it off with cotton wool and warm water and, as I was doing so, I realised that her skin was very yellow. I was racking my brains to see if I could remember what colour her skin was last time I got this close, but I couldn't. It was so yello, it looked like the "corn fed chicken" that is often sold in supermarkets.

Couldn't see any signs of any lice or anything, so I dried her off and let her go. And then I noticed how yellow her legs were. I did a double take, because they were really, REALLY, yellow. Like a cartoon Rhode Island Red's legs!

I panicked for a moment, thinking that she might have chickeny Jaundice.

And then I remembered reading something on a Garvo website - they had had to introduce a special feed for white legged chickens because their feed contains carotins (I can't remember if it is carotins, but it was something along those lines) to enhance egg yolk, and this also makes the chicken legs yellow.

Now, I don't feed mine on Garvo normally, but over the last few days the 8 of them have consumed a whole bag of garvo chicken treat stuff (don't ask.). So I wonder if it was that?

I've just done a quick google, and the chickeny world is awash with stories of yellow legs and skin) from eating Garvo!

Anyone else experienced this?

Edited by Guest