Lorax Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 I think we are close to ordering our chooks, either three or four. But now a bit confused. In 2008 you kind people helped me choose my chooks and we settled on: A light Sussex A Calder Ranger A Blue Belle But a friend of mine said that if I'm only getting three I should get the same type, i.e. all light Sussex etc as the breeds stick together. We don't really want three of the same as the children want to choose their own. Can I have your thoughts please? Also someone said Black Rocks are fantastic. Should we add one of those to our list or substitute? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 When I got mine I needed 4 that were different for the children (and me). The breeder advised me to get 4 of similar size and age. I picked the first one and he then pointed out those that would go well with it. I have friends who I advised to do the same. They didn't and chose hens of wildly different sizes and ages and mixed with ex batts. There was a lot of bullying and they never really got on. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lorax Posted September 5, 2010 Author Share Posted September 5, 2010 Chucky Mama that seems entirely sensible! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 I got 7 all differant breeds 5 pure breeds 2 hybrids brought in 3 lots by an large the get on one has a problem with the 2 newer girls but it's working out I also have 3 11 week old chicks that my broody hatched out 2 boys one girl again no real troubles other than the normal pecking order ones and the broody taking a dislike to the maran boy but he's learning to keep out of the way has long as they all come out of the same pen at the breeders then they shouldn't be to much trouble if you get differant breeds Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mercedes55 Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 I do think you have to be careful, but you can mix breeds. Our 4 ex batts are obviously all the same and get on really well with each other. Our 4 new additions that we got yesterday are a Salmon Favorelle, a Welsummer, a Cream Legbar and a Lavender Araucana. They had all been in the same barn but I think as there were so many other hens in it they probably didn't know each other. However even though the Favorelle is quite a chunky breed and the Araucana seems quite light compared to the Welsummer and Legbar the 4 of them have been huddled together since we got them home. They all went into the Eglu last night and were all fine this morning too. Our only problem is the ex batts who haven't taken very kindly to having new additions, although I would hasten to add that they are separate from each other at the moment. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 I think your original list sounds good to me. As long as they are all pretty much the same size you should be okay. When I got my first 3 the breeder specifically chose different ones so my children could 'have one each' and know which one was theirs. I saw a Blue belle yesterday and really like them, but I have enough to deal with at the moment. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karlotta Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 I rehomed 4 chickens a couple of weeks ago - a wellsummer, a fav, a jubilee orp and a RIR bantam! I usually keep my bants and big girls separate but as she was friends with the 4 big girls already she's gone in with the the large hens. She is totally fine and not one of my girlies has even given her a second look!! I do think that slower/soppier breeds could have a bit of a harder time with hybrids for example if you have them in an enclosed run for example, but given enough space they should be fine! To be on the safe side go for hens of a similar age and size, but it's much more fun to have ones you can tell apart! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
meezers Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 You'll be fine with your original 3. I started out with a speckledy, black rock, bluebelle,rhode island red, light sussex and a warren.No problems whatsoever. I think trouble happens if you try to mix different temperaments and extreme sizes. For example, I'd be wary of leghorns in with Faverolles or bantam silkies ( now all the leghorn owners will tell me they are daft old things )or hybrids in with polands. I was told, when I got my original 6, not to choose 5 of one breed/colour and one of another - which fairly obviously could lead to the five ganging up on the odd one out. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 Mine are a real 'All Sorts' collection. I think if you had 11 ginger hens and one white one, you might possibly have a problem. I personally don't mix my big girls with my Bantams, (My choice) but apart from that, I'd say go for what takes your fancy. It is much easier for your children ( if you have any ) if they are all different. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 My 4 chooks are all different. I went for pretty looking and egg colours. Probably a bit sad of me but there you go. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mercedes55 Posted September 5, 2010 Share Posted September 5, 2010 My 4 chooks are all different. I went for pretty looking and egg colours. Probably a bit sad of me but there you go. Not at all sad, we have 4 beautiful ex batts who all look fairly similar to each other and now we have 4 beautiful pure breeds who were chosen purely for their looks and egg colour Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...