Mollie333 Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 Hi Well. I'm very , i've just seen my Poppy my 30 week old Pekin mate with my 1 year old Pekin, Effy. She has always had a big comb and is a very big girl, both taller and fatter than my other bantams, and alot bigger than Effy, but it younger. I don't know what to think! She is definatly a girl, and started laying the day we got her.. But has stopped a few weeks ago, i put this down to the weather. Does anyone have any 'hens' that have taken a cockerel role? What should i do? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jennydavies Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 Hi Mollie, I think you should have a "Birds and Bee's" chat with Poppy I have heard of hens taking on the cockerels role if there isn't one present, but I didn't know it went as far as mating We sometimes get "stacking" in the nest-box if two girls want to use the same box, with one sitting on top of the other one Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mollie333 Posted October 6, 2010 Author Share Posted October 6, 2010 . We have two cockerels though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
migsy Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 Each to their own Molly! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Saronne Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 Hi, One of my light Sussex hens does the mating thing, too. I was told that it's a dominance 'pecking-order' behaviour which can happen in flocks without a cockerel. Saronne x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jules. Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 Buzz does this too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mollie333 Posted October 6, 2010 Author Share Posted October 6, 2010 She has done it 4 times today! Great to hear that i'm not alone. I thought i might of had a hermaphrodite hen Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted October 6, 2010 Share Posted October 6, 2010 it is just a dominance thing. Nothing to worry about. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mollie333 Posted October 7, 2010 Author Share Posted October 7, 2010 Thanks everyone! They are doing it again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...