Aunty e Posted November 13, 2010 Share Posted November 13, 2010 Hey, I haven't managed to find 'The Stacks' yet - am I being dim? Thinking of getting OH a Kindle for Christmas so we have both in the house (I have a Sony Reader Touch) and wanted to take a look. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted November 13, 2010 Share Posted November 13, 2010 I have the kindle app on my ipod touch. Love having access to something to read all the time! Would be interesting to see if other sources of books will work with it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 http://www.truly-free.org/stacks.php I think the site may be down today,though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 I cant find the section can someone point me in the right direction (feeling a bit dumb today ) cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 Section? What are you looking for? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted November 14, 2010 Share Posted November 14, 2010 oh sussed it I didnt go far enough in cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted November 16, 2010 Share Posted November 16, 2010 just a query with you kindlepeople out there (mine is a sony ) someone has told me that you can plug in head phones to the kindle and listen to the books if you cant be bothered to read is this true? how does it work? I thought that you could only listen to an audio book thank you for helping my confusion cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickric Posted November 18, 2010 Share Posted November 18, 2010 just a query with you kindlepeople out there (mine is a sony ) someone has told me that you can plug in head phones to the kindle and listen to the books if you cant be bothered to read is this true? how does it work? I thought that you could only listen to an audio book thank you for helping my confusion cathy x Yes, you can get it to read to you if the book supports text to speech, you don't need headphones as it has a built in speaker and you can also load music onto it to play whilst you are reading . The text to speech isn't too bad actually, a little bit Stephen Hawkins and sometimes doesn't pick up punctuation so sentences merge into one. http://www.truly-free.org/stacks.php I think the site may be down today,though. I had a quick look on here a couple of days ago but didn't have time to explore properly, now it's saying not available, has the site been taken down or something? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted November 18, 2010 Share Posted November 18, 2010 It is temporarily suspended because they have run out of money . It costs them $1500 a month to run the library and they rely on donations. If you go to http://www.burgomeister.org you can get access to the forum. There are some threads there about the money shortage and how to donate (via Pay Pal). People who donate will be the first to get access again to the library. I have downloaded scores of books from there and not donated in the past so feeling a bit . I have now donated and am hoping the site will be back soon. It is such an excellent site I would be gutted if it had to close down. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
donald Posted November 20, 2010 Share Posted November 20, 2010 Hi I just took my Kindle 3G to the indian ocean (I used a zip freezer bag to keep the sun cream/sand off it) and I downloaded new books with ease. I know the island only had Wi fi in the reception but it still worked whilst laying on a sunbed on the beach with the cocktail in hand I love it and think its brilliant, whilst we were at the airport I passed the time away putting books on. Also on the flight I just turned the wi fi off and used it when I got bored with the in flight entertainment. I am not very good with technology but it tells you what to do anyway. Love the kindle Donald Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
..lay a little egg for me Posted November 22, 2010 Share Posted November 22, 2010 It is temporarily suspended because they have run out of money . It costs them $1500 a month to run the library and they rely on donations. If you go to http://www.burgomeister.org you can get access to the forum. There are some threads there about the money shortage and how to donate (via Pay Pal). People who donate will be the first to get access again to the library. I have downloaded scores of books from there and not donated in the past so feeling a bit . I have now donated and am hoping the site will be back soon. It is such an excellent site I would be gutted if it had to close down. Access to the Burgomeister's sites (main library and the stacks) is now available for supporters and subscribers only at the moment so if you donate a small amount you will be given a link to use to access the site. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...