debbie9946 Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 I am a bit worried about one of my ex batts. I noticed tonight that her crop is not as full as it should be, it is practically empty compared to the other three. her wattle is also paler in colour. any ideas? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Alas it does not sound as if she is all that well. How about tempting her with a little warm porridge, in the morning, all on her own so she doesn't need to compete? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 take her out separately to feed her up, try mealworms, sunflower hearts, ready brek goes down well, made with water. I woulds bring her in in the warm too so she is not using vital energy trying to keep warm and you can check she is not ill too Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gertie Posted November 28, 2010 Share Posted November 28, 2010 Sorry to hear one of your hens isn't eating. Do you think she could be being denied food by the others? I'm sure you've thought of this anyway, but have you got several feeders in the run? I just got 3 ex batts & one is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. The dominant hen pecks her sometimes when she tries to get food. I have 2 big round hanging feeders so she can access food from any angle and there's too much food for the other ones to guard. I also scatter corn & mealworms all around at bedtime so she gets lots of that too. Feeding her separately might be necessary. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
debbie9946 Posted November 28, 2010 Author Share Posted November 28, 2010 poppy is my top hen, the others let her feed first as a rule. made the girls some mash tonight, using pellets, warm water, a splash of olive oil and some sweetcorn. Poppy had a few mouthfuls and then left the others too it. they are all snoozing now. will separate her in the morning and try her with her favourite scrambled egg. her crop doesn't feel watery or squishy, but neither hard (compacted crop), just lack of appetite. She moulted ages ago, so not sure it is that either. I must admit I am perplexed. will keep you updated. x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
staceychristie Posted November 29, 2010 Share Posted November 29, 2010 Our Rosie (now violet sprayed bum, due to moult and pecks) is often given a 1 to 1 at feed time. The others are Bulldozers compared to her bantam like size. Strong believer in cuddles and warm (ESPECIALLY NOW!) to help a hen get better. Our 4 are slumbering in a nice warm wooden box in downstairs loo as we chat. Good Luck Stacey Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Christian Posted December 1, 2010 Share Posted December 1, 2010 A couple of mine are moulting and not eating very much. They seem disinterested in most things, as I suppose that the moult takes it out of them. The porridge trick works well and maybe bringing her indoors to feed her up might help? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...