patsylabrador Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 Hello, I know a young man who plans to keep chickens but wants to prepare well before. He's asked me for advice and although I've learnt a lot over the last year and a bit, I'm not an experienced chicken keeper. If you have any hints you would care to share with me I would like to pass them on. I'm writing everything down in a notebook for him to keep. I think he's planning a walk-in-run on a patio, he's very practical and plans to build it himself. I was wondering if there are any useful books to recommend as many of the ones I have don't really tell you the nitty gritty, I've told him about this site and if you can recommend any other good sites that would be great. I also would like to recommend a breed of chicken so if you can help me there that would be great. He has a little cottage in Hertfordshire and I think there are a couple of suppliers there, if you know of any that would be useful too. I thought I'd tell him about that 'What have I done' moment that I think a lot of people experience so that he knows that feeling is normal. Thank you if you have any tips. Judy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Snowy Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 I think you have probably given him the best advice by telling him to look on here! It's very hard to take in so much information at once. By pootling round the forum, he will soon pick up the essentials Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
doctors girls Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 hi i am also new to chickens and had them for 4 weeks now and they are 20 weeks old just go on the web sites click the links and just read and absorb the info i did about 8 to 10 weeks of research before getting my chucks also it convinced the other half and now she loves them as she got to name them john Rose Light sussex Sara Jane (sj) Light sussex Martha Black Rock Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted November 30, 2010 Share Posted November 30, 2010 Tell her they are good names Looking at a variety of websites gives a balanced view of issues. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...