fluffy chick

any experiences of omlet electric / normal fencing?

I want to fence an area off for the girls as they were fh ing when out the run but now I've been them to another spot. Long story I guess!

I was looking at omlet normal fencing (21m) but thought I might opt for the electric fencing (25m) so when I can afford it I can electrify it so I can leave them out when I'm at work. Has anyone any experience? would the electric fence work ok with out electrifying it?!

I would love some advice :pray:

I use electrified netting (2 lots) and find it's fantastic.

You might find that if it's not electrified they'll shove their heads through (or try to squeeze through if you have any bantams).

If it's not electrified you might need to peg the bottom strand down to stop them squeezing under and I'd recommend as many posts as possible! the more the better!

It's very rare for one of my girls to fly over... I suspect it's more likely a mis-landin after a dodgy flying leap off the cubes.

Any specific questions just ask...

Hi fluffy chick, I'm also looking at netting/fencing to try to protect some of my garden from the chickens! Have you looked at any other suppliers other than Omlet? I haven't done much research but fencing in general seems quite costly and I wondered if a more DIY approach would work (and be cheaper) - maybe using normal garden netting and stakes?? Like fluffy chick, I'd love to hear what others have done for fencing. (Sorry, fluffy chick for slightly hijacking your thread :) )

No probs random girl :lol:

I'm no good at DIY but we priced up chicken wire and posts and stuff and it was gonna be quite expensive anyway. Plus I thought this would look better than my rubbish DIY attempt! especially as they are on a steep hill. I'm sure yours would look better.

Thanks for the comments was leaning towards the normal netting to be honest. Just cos I probably won't electrify it anyway and the normal one has a wee gate. Not sure now though! :lol:

Yes I do have bantys (stupid ones at that) but I hoping the small holes might be small enough :?

You can easily make a gate with regular electric netting plus you then have the option of electrifying it in the future if you need it.

I just overlap the first and last poles slightly and then loop the end of the netting round the facing pole. You can then either lean one pole slightly and step through or pull out the first pole if you need to get a barrow through for example.

Oh ok, good point. maybe I should go for electric then....

Would you trust it while you were out at work if it's hooked up to power against foxes? I live out in the sticks I've never seen a fox but I'm sure they are out there.

Also (sorry for dumb questions) I was planning on having it against next doors fence. Am I allowed to do this, do you think I'd have to speak to them to see if they mind? They don't have kids or anything but we don't really speak much so don't want to upset them! :?