Henergy Posted March 23, 2011 Share Posted March 23, 2011 I've been seeing lots of things that you can buy such as poultry spice, tonics etc and so I was just wondering if any of that is essential or is it only if you have an under the weather hen ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted March 23, 2011 Share Posted March 23, 2011 Opinions differ ..... of course! I don't use any supplements as a matter of course, just when needed. Lifeguard is my preference which I add to their drinking water at times of stress (moulting, broody, bad weather, intros etc). I've just added some Alfalfa extract to my bantams pellets because they've been on woodchip all winter so their egg yolks are paler than normal. I honestly don't think I'll bother again once I've used this lot though. I use Herban in their drinking water if there are any runny tums and also when I hatch chicks as it's good for preventing coccidiosis. Every now and again I add dried garlic to their pellets, for no reason other than I'm a garlic fan personally. Apart from that, clean drinking water, good quality pellets, greens and plenty of room to scratch around do the trick here. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
percy049 Posted March 23, 2011 Share Posted March 23, 2011 We use poultry spice most of their time in their food. We also add ACV to their water most of the time, and the occasional liquid calcium if theres been softies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coco Posted March 23, 2011 Share Posted March 23, 2011 I try not to use to many supplements although I do have them all to hand. I will give A tonic in the water when moulting and ACV occasionally. I have recently had a poorly hen and gave Avipro in her water for a few days just to give her a bit of a boost. As Jools said, clean water good quality feed and greens are all they really need. PS I would recommend Citricidal if you have a hen with a bit of a sniffle. its great for getting rid of colds in the very early stages Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...