Old Speckled Hen

First Inspection

Anybody looked in theirs?

The weather has been gorgeous this week, the pussy willow is in bloom and the bees are covered in it.

I thought I'd leave it another two weeks or so and let them get on undisturbed in the sunshine as it's supposed to get cold this weekend. All I've done is taken the mouseguards off just during the day.

Can hardly wait though :D:D:D

What are your doing and how have they faired through the winter?

OSH,

You asked if anyone else had made inspections of their colonies I would say - checked, yes. All flying strongly. Only a quick inspection of those in my garden, the rest will be shortly unless it turns cold.

All my mouse guards are effectively off, as of last week - but I do have a few more colonies than the average reader on here, so my situation is a little different than most. I will be honest, not all had them, anyway (and some don't need them - Dartingtons per eg).

The Dartington in my garden is, as expected, well advanced as it was a good colony and has the advantage of the cluster being remote from the coldest hive surfaces. One polynuc must be expanded to a full hive, now.

There is still a large amount of stores remaining for the spring build-up -I don't envisage too much, if any, feeding before the OSR flow. In fact I removed a frame of stores from one colony yesterday and replaced it with a frame of foundation. I added a frame of drawn comb about a week ago. The frame of stores might be given to another colony or it will be ready for a nuc later.

I will be checking and probably moving some emerging brood to the colonies on the OSR. Some foragers might be joining them later, if deemed necessary.

Regards, RAB

Yes, we checked ours at the weekend as we had such glorious weather and good weather was forecast for the whole week as well. We didn't take out every frame - we knew the queen was laying and there were still stores and feed.

Two out of the three colonies made it through.

It's been 16˚ here and tomorrow doesn't look too bad.

Two colonies are really bringing in pollen and most of the bees are so yellow they look like wasps from a distance. I will look in tomorrow. One of the boxes has a super of stores under, hopefully now empty but I want to get it away before the queen lays in it. The weakest hive is nowhere near as busy so I have put the inspection tray in.

I have two queens to mark but tomorrow it probably not the time.

Had a quick look in after all. It was 15˚ and still.

Stores are OK , brood at all stages, spotted two out of three queens .

I should have been brave enough to mark one of them but chickened out and closed up.

I'm pleased as all two colonies were small due to my ineptitude last year. There is some capped honey from early last year...I should have bruised that but forgot.

I'll have another look in 2 weeks.

Looking forward to that new poly, a queen rearing course and to Stoneleigh.

My mentor has asked me to help out with the beginners course so that's more practice with the BKA hives :D

Its sounds like you've really taken to this beekeeping lark OSH - queen rearing; is it going to be like hatching I wonder! What are you planning to do with them - are they for your own use? On a slightly different topic, my neighbour said nucs were going locally for £150 this week. I've seen prices between £100 and £180 :shock:

Daphne,

I want to stick with just the three hives so that means I would have to replace at least one every year. I realise that I can do that with AS but I would like to know how to rear more.....just interested really. Our BKA is always crying out for queens and a call has gone out for a spare nuc to repopulate the obs hive just this weekend. I was able to help a member out last year with a small colony as his queen had failed but that was only because I mismanaged; rather than reuniting I thought I could get it through the winter. I need more general practice and the queen rearing is just part of an intermediate course being offered. Most of our members doodle along keeping a couple of hives in their gardens but I'm keen on helping out on the education side of things so the more I learn the better.

We have a large new contingent and an overwintered nuc or two with nice queens is something I'd like to offer.

I have to learn to walk properly before running and falling flat on my face though; heavens, I haven't had any honey yet!!! I love finding out about bees not just keeping them and I have to learn the difference between constructive keeping and interfering.

Hasn't this good weather been really uplifting?

Inspected mine yesterday, I'd done a quick check a couple of weeks ago but yesterday my mentor offered to do a 'mock' BBKA Basic, as I've got this coming up in May, so I did a full inspection. Lots of stores and he's advised I should put a super on in the next week or so. There is also a lot of brood, and I got stung on the finger as I lifted a frame out so I've got a fat hand today, but I'm very pleased with the colony.

I'm going to be checking weekly now if I can, as my mentor reckons we could expect swarms in the next 3-4 weeks if the good weather continues. I didn't do an AS last year as my queen disappeared, but I will be doing one this year I hope, my friend is waiting for bees so I may give her the split colony if she doesn't get a swarm first.

Oh, I do want to start a second colony, and in fact I bought a second hive last year but then couldn't do the AS. However my friend started beekeeping last year, we collected a swarm together but it failed as the queen was laying drones, and she's been bee-less ever since, there weren't many swarms last year and she can't afford to buy a nuc. She is on the list for a swarm this year, but I've promised her the split from mine if a swarm doesn't turn up first.

| was stung several times last year but I'm still reacting although it is now going down after three days rather than four - my aim this year is to get stung as often as possible, in the hope that I will eventually de-sensitise. (NB: I am not allergic to bee stings, I'm just experiencing normal reactions - DO NOT try this at home if you think you might have an allergy!)