sari

Feather eating *help please*

My Leghorn Flo plucked a bald patch a couple of weeks ago due to Lice, I treated them all, and they have all cleared up. Fine I thought...until I noticed her bald patch, which looked like it had started to feather up, was all bald, and a bit red again. She is now pretty much oven ready from throat to vent underneath :(:(

I checked for Lice, but no..I sprayed the purple spray, and thought that would be ok. The bald spot has continued to grow, and I yesterday I saw the bottom chook, Gertrude, very calmly and companionably pluckin nand eating Flo's feathers when they were all snuggled up dustbathing. When I was cleaning them out today, Gert was stalking her, and eating the feathers from her legs and neck. I've sprayed with anti peck spray...but should I fit a bumper bit?? And why has she started this..I found some poop with a lot of feathers in it when I was emptying the poop tray...

I don't think they are bored, I have a WIR with 2 levels, stumps and roosts, hang stuff up...so I guess I'm asking

a) why has she suddenly started doing this?

b) should I fit a bumper bit?

I'll just add I've increased the protein by giving a little tray of cat food daily, and they have wiggly wigglers layers mash, as well as mixed corn, and greens. They lay pretty much most days.....

Have just googled why do chickens eat feathers and most sites say it's due to lack of protein, but as your giving cat food which is supposed to be rich in protein I'm not sure what to suggest. Maybe cut down on the corn and greens.

Does Gertrude get her fair share of the mash and cat food?

I think so, I tend to stay in the run and hold it, as Top Chook picks up the tray and runs away with it if not.... :o The Mash is in a big gravity feeder, and they can eat when they like, I also ahve a grub on the top level, whish I often see her roosting on...so I assume so...but will keep my eye on her

I have a couple of girls that feather pluck, it started the winter before last when they were confined to the run for three weeks, I think it was down to boredom. They are now in a huge WIR but still do it. I think its become a habit which unfortunately is very hard to break. I seperated one of the culprits and she hasn't been as bad now she is back with the others. If you can nip it in the bud it may be easier to stop.

I don't know if this is a method which should be used, but I got so worried that Holly had an 'oven ready' look I smothered her bald patch with petroleum jelly. It was to give her a layer to stop her plucking her feathers out - protecting the skin by stopping it drying out & also making the last few feathers / stumps too slippery to pluck out. I did this every two days for a few weeks, maybe three weeks?

Her skin stopped being red, then some of the skin flaked off & then it returned to normal. She seemed to stop plucking her feathers out so I stopped the treatment. Luckily about a month later she began a moult & now has a beautifully feathered tummy.

I hope this idea may be of some use. Good luck.

Thankyou, I will give that a go, as the skin does look dry,and I worry about it being sore. I think she plucks herself, as well as gertie doing it, my daughters think that Gertie is getting revenge, as she was bullied quite a lot when we first got them...I am about to have new fencing, so they will be able to FR again...they went in the WIR in the Autumn, and have seemd ok, but the top chook has started making a dasj for the door, so perhaps they need more than all the bits and bobs in the run....?? I will try the vaseline, and continue with the purple spray ( why do my disposable gloves always have holes in when I'm doing the purple spray??) and see what happens..if not it'll be bumper bits... :(

Thanks for the advice x