suzannejoy

what to use in the run of your coop.

You don't have to put anything down, but bare earth can get very muddy when it's wet, and hens enjoy having something to scratch about in. Woodchip is good; some people just use aubiose/hemcore or similar horse bedding. Rubber chippings have been used, but don't come with a great recommendation because they have to be hosed down. The other substances can be shovelled out and composted.

I use a mixture of home-produced woodchip, sawdust from where I've been cutting wood for the log-burner with my chainsaw, and aubiose. If you're just using aubiose, you'll need a cover of some sort on the run to stop it getting too wet. Straw is not recommended because it can harbour fungal spores, and I believe bark chippings can have the same problem.

Im in the same predicament, just building a walk in run now and was in two minds about what to put on floor, but ive decided Im going for woodchip. I place a post on here a week ago asking about rubber chips and the response was a big fat NO, avoid it at all costs. You can hose down the rubber chips, but the poo stays underneath them....urgh!

I read in Practical Poultry that you should change the wood chips every two months.

Hope this helps

Hemcore every time, better than easibed in my experience. I tried moving the house onto clean grass, but only have a back garden, and soon ran out of grass :wink:

SO, dug out a weed bed, laid slabs, put run and house on it, then added hemcore. Great to pick up poo from as it all sticks together. Needs changing maybe every few months. Also use the powder 'Stalasan' to keep worms etc down.

Smells nice too.

Good luck

Stacey