FruitandNutCake

Poorly Hen -*Sad Update*

Hi. One of my x-batts, Maisey , appears to be poorly. She seems to huddle up in a corner most of the time, and only half-heartedly pecks and the layers mash I put out. She showed a little more interest with the cabbage I hung up in the run, but not as much movement as usual.

Also, for a few days now, she has had a very mucky bottom. I've given her bottom a good wash with baby shampoo, and rinsed well with plenty of fresh water and towel dried but it gets messy again very quickly.

I'm going to get her booked into vets as soon as possible after work, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

(ps. she hasn't laid an egg for about a year - so could it just be old age?)

I'd give it a whirl. I'd also give her a Basic Health Check, and if anything obvious shows up, or she doesn't improve after the Flubenvet, take her to the vet anyway.

Good luck.

Oh - she is definitely poorly - and feels light compared to the other 3 hens I have. She is sitting with eyes half closed very unstable. Unfortunately i have to go to work or I would take her straight to vets now. But I will ring them as soon as I can to book an appointment. She must be about 5 years old - as I've had her nearly 3 years since her rescue.

No swelling. I've just checked on her and she seems a lot perkier and has eaten some of her food. But her poo is green and waterery. She doesn't appear to have any swelling. I have an appointment with vet at 5:30 with a chicken knowledgeable vet - so hopefully will find out what is wrong with her.

Unfortunately when I took Maisy to vets last night, they confirmed that it was either peritinitis or advanced cancer. vet could feel a distended abdomen and explained that it was probably a build up of fluid that was affecting her balance. vet put Maisy on the floor to see how well she could walk, and she was just falling over.

we both agreed that considering her age, and she had had nearly 3 years of freedom with me, that it was best not to let her suffer, so I agreed to let her go. :( I also think having to wash and dry her bottom every day would have only added to her stress.

Now I'm curious though - is 4-5 years a good age for an ex-batt? Do they generally last longer?