Sheilaz Posted April 28, 2011 Share Posted April 28, 2011 There must be a wonderful way that Omleteers know, but I can't find a solution. Well, an apron for prevention in future, definitely. But meanwhile, on an already washed garment. Vinegar didn't work, there must be another magic ingredient. I hope so, it's my favourite old dress! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted April 28, 2011 Share Posted April 28, 2011 We frequently have greasy spots on cotton t-shirts (my men are messy eaters/cooks ). I swear by Glocare Stain Slayer ("removes tar, grease, gum etc"). Just spray it on the stain, immediately rinse out then wash as normal. Works every time . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted April 28, 2011 Share Posted April 28, 2011 Washing soda crystals are pretty good for getting stains out of clothes. You can either soak or add some to the wash. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
ubereglu Posted April 28, 2011 Share Posted April 28, 2011 We've found one of the best degreasers to be ecover hand soap. Get the area wet and apply a few squirts on the area, leave for a few hours, (well until the next washload) and stick it in. It might take 2 goes, but it works! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Kirstine Posted April 28, 2011 Share Posted April 28, 2011 If it's just a spot dabbing Eucalyptus oil on it before washing does the trick - and makes the wash come out smelling lovely too. Independant chemists often sell pure Eucalyptus oil at a reasonable price, the aromatherapy stuff should only be used for saving very posh dresses! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angie Posted April 28, 2011 Share Posted April 28, 2011 All oil based stains...washing up liquid to lift the oil then a wash with vanish, works well on decking oil . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sheilaz Posted April 28, 2011 Author Share Posted April 28, 2011 Thank you very much for your helpful suggestions. I am delighted at the response and shall hopefully remove the oil at the weekend. I've also gained some tips for future use, so thanks again Omleteers. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Benaberry Posted May 3, 2011 Share Posted May 3, 2011 stepmum swears by fairy liquid (suppose it is designed to lift and capture grease!) I've used it a few times now on various jersey and other material clothes (I'm a messy cook...), and it's worked fabulously well - just a spot rubbed into the oily mark, and then slung in the washing machine with the rest of the load Oil is a right pain though - I have one particular top that is utterly doomed - EVERY time I wear it, I get something on it, usually greasy, which is typical, especially as it's a pale mink-y brown colour, that shows up every mark Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...