fluffy chick

orps / cochins in an eglu classic?

Hi everyone

I would love to get some big lf such as cochins or orps. I was wondering if people felt the classic was large enough for these breeds (and if so how many) or would I realistically need to buy a cube? Can these heavy birds manage the ladder? How many could I get in a cube? Just to sleep they would be in electric fencing during the day...

thanks, lots of questions sorry

As long as they are not confined to eglu run during the day and have plenty of room outside the eglu, i'd say three LF in an eglu would be snug but fine. In a cube, well, i have 10 sleeping in mine! Their choice i have to say :lol: two of which are orps and one is a brahma, so huge! and they all manage the ladder just fine :D

I'd be more concerned about headroom - what is the internal height of the classic or cube and how tall are Orps and Cochins? Yes I know they're only in there to roost, but to be comfortable they do need to be able to stand up occasionally without banging their heads.

Ah ok :?

The orps I've seen weren't actually that tall, no taller than my old hybrids anyway but they are very round aren't they.

Would you guys have a preference of orps over cochins or visa versa? I love the fluffy feet but heard orps are better layers, does any one know if this is true?

I wouldn't have more than 2 in a classic, orps are fine in a classic and I would imagine cochins would be too. I think its partly pot luck on laying - I know someone whose cochins lay more than his orps and another person where it is reversed. TBH neither breed is known for being particularly productive!

Hi There

We bred our cochin last year. She has the use of an eglu with a battery cross orp, and a bantam cross cochin.

They are all able to fit in the eglu but it gets too hot & sweaty in there if all 3 are trying to lay at the same time. They all like to sleep in a pile & its pretty amazing how they all squash up together.

They are in a large wir & when the weather turned hot they all slept outside the eglu on the floor.

My cochin weighs nearly 10 pounds, they are not very agile & I do worry about her hurting herself when she goes up to the eglu. We have had to make a wider & sturdier ramp for her!!

Fluffy knickers is the sweetest bird ever. All she wants to do is sit on your lap & chat.

She is the least productive of all of them But by far makes up for it just by being so sweet & talkative. She's broody now so now we have no eggs at all from her!

I think if you have the space & can afford it then a cube would be better as they are really big & very fluffy!

Love mine to bits.

Good luck deciding

Penelope.