oscar01

My Bees

I have recently started beekeeping with a nucleus colony which I transfered into a beehaus. The frames from the nucleus box were smaller than a normal frame and on every inspection since obtaining my bees, the bees were building wild comb underneeth the shorter frames ( carried out three inspections in two & half weeks) I have cut out a cardboard box to fit between the shorter frames and the base of the beehaus to stop this. However, the bees are chewing the cardboard box and filling the inspection board with fine cardboard shavings.

Also, when I remove the shorter frames when ready in about a couple of weeks time (not ready yet) what do I do with the shorter frames which will have some supplies in them, do I transfer them to the Supers part of the beehaus?

I would appreciate advice.

Bill

Bill,

You needed a good shoe box. Painted, wrapped in plastic sheet, duct taped can all enhance a soft chewy one.

A suitable piece of wood, or multiple pieces for that matter woul do. I was a little surprised this problem was not foreseen by the designers and a couple flatpack plastic boxes supplied with the hive for just that eventuality.

The frames will not fit the supers as I would think they are deeps. The supers require shallows and the beehaus body is extra deep (or 'jumbo' or '14 x 12's).

You will eitherthrow them away or offer them to someone who recycles frames (probably not many takers because of risk of disease) when they are removed from the hive.

I might have just left them as they were with wild comb and disposed of them after two years, but for a new beek they are fragile and may lead to other poorly drawn frames.

For me a 14 x 12 frame with foundation was less than a couple of pounds this year, so no great hassle.

One way to get them cleaned out is to put them the other side of the divider or perhaps a dummy giving the bees access. They will clean them out, given time. Just make sure wasps cannot gain access to the other side! Apparently it is more common than it should be (should be impossible!).

There is apparently a 'destruction' manual somewhere on the net that should address all these little quirks.

Regard,s RAB