hammy72

question about how much aubiose to put in eglu

I have noticed on some peoples photos that they have put enough bedding in to cover up the roosting bars. Is this how much I should put in? The nesting area is full up but the rest just has a layer underneath the roosting bars. I can top up if necessary as have loads of the stuff!

I remember asking this when I first joined and have a variety of replies.

The farmer from whom I got my first hens hated eglus and said the reason why is that the hens end up sitting in their poo so I remembered this when deciding how much aubiose to put in.

Basically like luckychickenlover and others I sprinkle just enough to cover the tray, so it makes removing what has fallen through much easier and I use tongs to do this every morning and only change the contents as and when necessary.

In cold weather I have filled the tray a bit deeper to act as insulation and stuffed rolled up newspaper in the gap at the back to stop draughts.

Sorry if this is out of sync with other replies.....I started writing this ages ago and only just finished it... :oops: