Hi

I have ordered a Cube, and I know it says that it will take up to 10 chickens. Can anyone tell me how many decent sized hens can it accomodate? I'd like to put some Cochins and/or Orpingtons in one, and they are pretty big birds.

Thanks

Richard

It all depends on what size run you have and whether they freerange at all. The standard run isn't massive, also be aware that they will need to be ale to jump onto the bottom rung of the ladder (unless you rig up a step). I'd say that big birds like that... 3 with the standard run if they are in the run all day. If they get let out, then you could get away with 4, but they are big girlies. Check with Buffster as she has a cochin.

The Cube itself is plenty big enough for ten large hens (more if they choose to sleep in the nesting box like mine), but the standard run certainly isn't. Omlet recommend six hens maximum in the standard Cube run, and ten in the run with one extension. I think this is pushing it a bit, and I would say four in the standard run and eight in the extended run.

Cochins are fat and lazy ladies and lie about a lot. They don't fly, and my Cochin would be happy to stay still all day with all her food all around her. So although they are big, they don't necessarily need more leg-room than flightly little things.

Hi

that's really great - thanks. I have spoken to Johannes who also says I could easily get 8 hens in the Cube at night. I haven't ordered a run as I have a big run already, and let them out all day in the run and at least a couple of hours in the garden.

With the cube and my original Mark 1 Eglu I should have plenty of room for the nine hens I'm planning to have by the end of August. I visited a couple of breeders earlier in the week (having just lost one of my original two hens, and having just ordered the Cube) and reserved 2 Blue Cochins, 2 Buff Sussex, 2 Splash Orpingtons and 2 Marans. Together with my Mrs Pepperpot that will make 9.

I wasn't worried about them having room to range during the day, but was beginning to panic about sleeping arrangements! :oops:

Thanks for all your help

Richard