poppy ben grace

advice on green frog coops or eglu go

Hi all, i really am at my witts end! I have spent the last week stressing over what housing to get. I really need a spare coop with no run to use for a hen i rescued and then when she is ok with the others to use for my pekins. The trouble is i cant afford some of the prices they go for on ebay etc as with the fuel for travel it makes more sense to just buy a Go and use that( i dont need a run). I also know of a green frog coop for very sale near to me, do any of you good people have any experience of these? Just dont know what to do, i need something that will last , doesnt cost the earth and is easy to clean and looks ok in the garden. I am so fed up with the ebay thing and chasing up eglus for sale! Please help, any avice will be appreciated greatly! :(

I have got a Green Frog and a Go and I like both (sorry that doesn't help!)They are both Green and look good in the garden.

Green Frog:(good)

Easy to clean ( back door comes off and the roof does too)

Plenty of room inside plus two perches

2 separate nest boxes on side so easily accessible

Small ramp to help them get into the coop

(not so good)

My girls didn't like the nest boxes as the roof is on a slant and they seemed a little cramped.

The metal clips that are used to hold the coop together are really easy to open and close but really hurt if you snap them on your finger!!

The door closure isn't brilliant as it is a handle attached with a nylon cord.Even when the door is shut and clipped I still don't feel that it is as secure as the Eglu.

Eglu Go (good)

Easy to clean

Secure doors

Easy access to nest box through back door

Lots of room in the nesting box so the girls can sit upright

(Not so good)

Roosting bars can become quite mucky at night as the gap between the bars and the droppings tray is quite close.

I would try to look at both. I would keep my Green Frog but my girls just don't like it. I ended up buying a Cube as all 7 wanted to sleep in the Go!! :D Sorry for the long post

I do like the GO its a good choice

I also like Solway coops, the mini hen house is very affordable and very well made

Even cheaper is the rabbit hutch which would make a good budget coop as it has a pop hole, it does have a smallish mesh panel but that could be covered if necessary

I dont like the Green Frog houses, I have seen them up close several times and wouldnt have one personally

I am hen sitting with a Go and have neighbours with a Green Frog which I also look after from time to time. They are very happy with it; I'm a bit less convinced about its looks, its durability and ability to be warm enough/cool enough but this is my prejudice rather than fact! I've never seen a Go till now and the only 3 minor grumbles I have are that to get the back off I find I have to be quite precise with my movements (ie it doesn't work smoothly first time every time) and the poo tray is very shallow meaning the roosting bars aren't high above it. I could imagine with big girls and big poos it might not work fantastically. The nesting box is also very shallow - if you had an active 'kicker-outer' of bedding it would just go everywhere. But on balance, I do like it.