mountainboarddude

Beef Farms

Hello,

I am currently studying Agriculture at uni, and as part of my course i have to take a 5 month placement on a farm that reflects my main area of interest. I would like to go into beef production and seeings as i am having trouble trying to get any response from any of the farms i have contacted, i wondered if anyone on the forum would no of any commercial or large beef farms. It would be great if they were in the surrey or glos area as i have accomodation readily available to me in these places, however am willing to give anywhere a go!

thanks

matt

Hi Matt. My daughter was in the same situation as you having to find a placement on a farm for 12 months for her college course.Finally after putting an advert on Gumtree Tim from Church Farm contacted her and she is working there now. He has a website if you are interested and he takes on interns all the time and even provides accomodation. She is paid £50 a week but she doesn't have to pay for accomodation, food or drink. If you contact him and tell him what you need to do he may be able to help you. It is a lovely place and even though Jade has only been there for 3 days she is really enjoying it. Here's the link: http://www.churchfarmardeley.co.uk/

I know a beef unit in Aberystwyth but they aren't massive - do a lot of research and have Performance Recorded Flocks.

Which Uni are you at, do they have a beef unit? Maybe try another University/Agricultural college as they will be used to students on placement and may have accomodation :)

Do all 5 months need to be on 1 farm or can it be split? :think:

5 months is a long time to be on one farm so if it is just the one, maybe try and find somewhere on a larger scale with a few sites you could work at doing different things or with different systems of rearing - maybe try + find a breeding/AI unit?

I'm sure they must get asked all the time but somewhere like River Cottage would be great! 8) Somewhere with a bit of science behind it would look good with your degree + in the future applying for jobs too.

I've been on placement for a Year 2 module all summer and had great fun, its mainly chickens but also horses too.

Good luck :D

Hi, I'm currently at the Royal Agricultural College and unfortunately we don't have our own beef unit, but i will definately contact other unis and see what they say. I think that the 5 months can be split so am looking at perhaps a larger enterpise and something a bit smaller. And funnily enough, i have worked down at River Cottage for the last 2 summers, however they are not commercial enough for what i need, they only have a few livestock, however it was a good suggestion. I take it you are studying at the moment, if so where abouts and what course?

thanks

Matt

Ahh ok, I remember someone working at River Cottage 8) - seems it was you! :lol:

Maybe have a look at Moreton Morrell - they have a pedigree beef herd but not sure how big it is, know someone that works there so let me know if you want me to ask her for someones contact details.

Yep, am at Aberystwyth doing Animal Science :D

About to go into Second Year ... sounds really old compared to Freshers! :lol: