MedusA

Branch Honey Show

I'm really chuffed because I won another novice class First prize at this year's Branch Honey Show. OH says I must be doing something right then. :lol:

DD says I now need to have a go up against the big boys and girls.

On the other hand my honey cake looked like a congealed volcano. :oops: Still tastes nice though. :P

I got to act as steward for the judge this year. The process of judging is fascinating and I felt honoured to be doing it. I don't think serious competition is for me though. There is too much to think about.

Yes. Olly's right. Our branch qualifies you as a "novice" if you haven't won more that 3 Firsts at any honey show. This was my second win in the novice honey class.

I am entering the novice honey, novice wax block and honey cake at the Warwickshire County Honey Show this Saturday at Hatton Country World.

I won 50p prize money, a First Prize certificate, and a ticket for 2 to the National Honey Show. I won't be able to go though as I'm already booked that weekend. :(

Edited to add pics:

Prize winning honey

IMG_5768.jpg

And my "congealed volcano" of a honey cake

IMG_5769.jpg

Thanks for explaining! Good Luck at County Level, you must be getting to be a real expert now. The only things I can remember being told are clear honey, no bubbles, no swirly scummy looking bits :shock: Now, another novice question - I see the 1st prize cards are red, like in poultry showing. Does anyone know if all competitions (eg veg/flower/livestock etc) use red cards for 1st?

Update, following the County Honey Show:

My cake was a disaster. A bit undercooked so naturally didn't get anything.

My rather rubbish wax block got a Very Highly Commended in the novice wax class.

My honey (which won First in the Novice Honey at the Branch Show) got 2nd Prize! Really chuffed about that. :dance:

I think I need to blow the trumpet for OH (Kermit) :clap: as he entered 7 classes in our honey show last night and won something in 6! He got 1 x 1st for dark/medium honey; 1 x 1st for chunk honey; 1 x 2nd for 6 pieces of beeswax; 1 x 3rd for plain cake beeswax; 1 x 3rd photography; 1 x 3rd for any other item - a clear board he built.

I will post some pictures, but are very happy in this household. We have prize-winning honey! :D

Here are the photos I entered and got a 3rd with. The winner's photo was of a bee attacking a wasp - absolutely stunning

2011entry1.jpg

2011entry2.jpg

The other entries are here (apart from the honey cake, which has been eaten)

DSCN2276.jpg

In the background is my vortex clearer board. Lots quicker than a crown board and porter bee escapes.

The clearer board is from a basic design on the Dave Cushman site. It's simple to make and is just a crown board with a deep lower rim and the 'maze'. Have a look at http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/vortexescape.html. Works very well - much better than Porter bee escapes. It can also be adapted to any size hive by simply changing the external dimensions of the board.

Cheap too. Get a big sheet of thin ply and ask the wood yard to cut it into strips the width of a hive. Then chop this at home to make crown board sized pieces. Then either make crown boards or clearer boards. You'll get quite a few from one sheet (you could even sell the spares).