Gloss-Hen

Do I need a male quail

Thanks, I wasnt sure If they made good pets

I went to this garden centre and they where

selling quails and they said they made wonderful pets

And tried to sell me some I said no because I wasn't

Sure If I was allowed to see the records as there

Is probably a lot of inbreeding :(

I've got one lot of quail that are quite friendly (for quail). If they escape, they never go far and I can just pick them up and put them back into their run. The other lot are quite skittish and came from a different breeder. No matter what I do, they won't be tamed. Try finding a breeder that puts the time in with their birds and you'll find better natured quail.

The ones I hatched at home therefore handled from hatch, were much less skittish & less boinky than the flock I have now, who are all bought in.....my first flock were 3 homebred & 3 bought in & were a lot calmer than this batch of nutters, though they are getting better with daily grapplings from me :wink:

My first batch had a boy in with them, Boris my first hatched, he became a severely battered husband & for his own safety & sight was removed :(

It doesn't really make any difference whether you have a boy or not. The advantages of having a boy is that he fertilises the eggs which then become very low in cholestral, he keeps any arguments between the ladies at a minimum and the most obvious, producing offspring if you wanted to increase/replenish your stock.