LolaLayla

Mustard seeds in chutney

I would say Not really. Mustard powder would give a different effect completely.

I swould ay that, at a pinch, you might be able to get away with adding some wholegrain mustard (not powder). But if you have to go out and buy that anyway, then it might be worthwhile getting the mustard seeds.

Worst case, I;m sure you could just leave it out. Chutney is full of such lovely flavours anyway, that leaving out the mustard seeds won't be the end of the world.

Yes. I was going to have a go at the Nigel Slater one as I have green tomatoes. I had originally planned a chutney with apples too but I don't have them any more so I will use my chillies instead. However it says a red chilli and mine are still green but I reckon that will be ok :D

I almost always end up going 'off piste' on chutney recipes - I started making Delia's Christmas Chutney the other day and then because I had a bag of dried prunes that needed using up I chopped those up and put them in. Every batch of chutney is slightly different, and that's what is so wonderful about it!

I made chutney for the first time last year so I am still a bit unsure about what you can use. Also sterilising the jars worrried me. I suppose it's because my mum never made it that I am clueless! I felt I wanted to have a go as I had grown tomatoes and didn't want to waste any. Also there are so many recipes out there :? It is great to get advice here :D