poachedegg

Thinking of ducks - your thoughts appreciated! UPDATE

Now that we have an allotment we would love to get a couple of ducks, possibly Campbells :D . They would need to live in a secure enclosure, but would have the facility for a little free ranging when we go. Would a permanent enclosure be ok for 2 ducks? Also as they would be on the allotment it is quite possible during quiet times we may only go every couple of days.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Guest

Hi yes you could have ducks in a permanent run as long as it is fox proof as without you there to put them to bed they

would just sleep in the run all night also if you leave them enough food and water they should be ok for a couple of days but no longer as they need fresh water as they are very mucky i give my ducks clean water everyday for drinking and when they had little swimming pools they were changed every 2 days the only problem with keeping them enclosed in a run is they maybe a bit stinky thats why i just let mine run hope this helps abit leanne :)

Good of you to seek advice on this one, some people don't.

I think you will find by law that animals are required to be checked on at least once a day and provided with fresh water every day, so if you can only visit every couple of days then this would not be a good idea at all.

I would certainly not suggest keeping any animal if they are not checked on at least once a day.

Aside from that they will eat everything on your allotment and destroy the ground when it gets wet, they are destructive little "Ooops, word censored!"s.

In the winter, their water will freeze over unless you have an electric water heater and ducks must under no circumstances be left without water.

I hope this helps and sorry if it isn't what you want to hear. Good to see you are responsible though and checked first.

zo

x

I think you will find by law that animals are required to be checked on at least once a day and provided with fresh water every day

This isn't true at all. There is no law that states this anywhere, it is recommended and good husbandry, but it's not a legally binding opinion.

Good of you to seek advice on this one, some people don't.

I think you will find by law that animals are required to be checked on at least once a day and provided with fresh water every day, so if you can only visit every couple of days then this would not be a good idea at all.

I would certainly not suggest keeping any animal if they are not checked on at least once a day.

Aside from that they will eat everything on your allotment and destroy the ground when it gets wet, they are destructive little "Ooops, word censored!".

In the winter, their water will freeze over unless you have an electric water heater and ducks must under no circumstances be left without water.

I hope this helps and sorry if it isn't what you want to hear. Good to see you are responsible though and checked first.

zo

x

Though I do take on board your comments, they would have been in an enclosure and then in a fenced off area when we were there, not free ranging on the allotment! :D

Well after thinking we weren't going to continue with the idea of ducks - we've had another rethink! :D

We have decided to go for 2 ducks and that way we can have them home for winter and live in our spare (pink eglu) ; we will then move them early spring to the allotment, where we can rejig our day to visit daily.....where there's a will there's a way! :D

So my Christmas present is hopefully going to be 2 white campbell ducks. :D